Electrical Box Ideas?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that winter is over I am working to properly install my system and add conduit to protect the cat 5 wires.

I'm having a hard time finding an electrical box, that is also water proof for the side of the house. Basically, this box will need to accept 4 flex conduits from the ground, then have a hole in the rear of the box, a rubber gasket to press against the side shingles of the house, where there is a hole. Sim cat5e cables will enter the house at this location.

1. I'd like the box to be mostly waterproof or at least keep spiders from crawling into the house via this box.

2. I'd prefer that the box have a lock, to prevent tampering.

3. I'd like to buy via amazon or ebay or local if able.

4. I can cut out the rear of the box to match the hole on the house and add my own gasket between the wood shingles and the box. But the box should have cut outs to accept 4 conduit pipes.

Any ideas or links?

This was my top pick, but not sure: Arlington EB1212-1 Electronic Equipment Enclosure Box, 12" x 12" x 4", Non-Metallic, 1-Pack - Switch And Outlet Plates - Amazon.com

This was my second pick but doesn't look water resistant at all: Arlington EB1212-1 Electronic Equipment Enclosure Box, 12" x 12" x 4", Non-Metallic, 1-Pack - Switch And Outlet Plates - Amazon.com

This was my third pick but I don't see conduit cut outs: BUD Industries NBF-32016 Plastic ABS NEMA Economy Box with Solid Door, 11-51/64" Length x 7-55/64" Width x 5-7/64" Height, Light Gray Finish: Electrical Boxes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now that winter is over I am working to properly install my system and add conduit to protect the cat 5 wires.

I'm having a hard time finding an electrical box, that is also water proof for the side of the house. Basically, this box will need to accept 4 flex conduits from the ground, then have a hole in the rear of the box, a rubber gasket to press against the side shingles of the house, where there is a hole. Sim cat5e cables will enter the house at this location.

1. I'd like the box to be mostly waterproof or at least keep spiders from crawling into the house via this box.

2. I'd prefer that the box have a lock, to prevent tampering.

3. I'd like to buy via amazon or ebay or local if able.

4. I can cut out the rear of the box to match the hole on the house and add my own gasket between the wood shingles and the box. But the box should have cut outs to accept 4 conduit pipes.

Any ideas or links?

This was my top pick, but not sure: Arlington EB1212-1 Electronic Equipment Enclosure Box, 12" x 12" x 4", Non-Metallic, 1-Pack - Switch And Outlet Plates - Amazon.com

This was my second pick but doesn't look water resistant at all: Arlington EB1212-1 Electronic Equipment Enclosure Box, 12" x 12" x 4", Non-Metallic, 1-Pack - Switch And Outlet Plates - Amazon.com

This was my third pick but I don't see conduit cut outs: BUD Industries NBF-32016 Plastic ABS NEMA Economy Box with Solid Door, 11-51/64" Length x 7-55/64" Width x 5-7/64" Height, Light Gray Finish: Electrical Boxes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
@CaliGirl The first two choices are the same box, and is not waterproof.

The third choice would work. They typically don't come with knockouts, you have to create your own with a drill and a bit like this: Amazon.com: Neiko 10194A Titanium Step Drill Bit, High Speed Steel | 1/4” to 1-3/8” | Total 10 Step Sizes: Home Improvement

Then use these: 1/2 in. PVC Male Terminal Adapter-E943D-CTN - The Home Depot
Secured in the box with these: 1/2 in. Rigid Conduit Locknuts (4-Pack)-26190 - The Home Depot

The hole that goes into the house, fill with this: GREAT STUFF 16 oz. Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant with Quick Stop Straw-99053993 - The Home Depot

After you are all finished, then use a good silicone caulk around the top and sides of the box. Leave the bottom of the box uncaulked.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Looney! Just what I needed to know. Not a lot on this topic on google that I could find. Makes sense to just drill out your own holes. I'm learning so much.

The only thing I'm reluctant to do is the foam seal bc what If I need to change a wire out or add a wire, it will be a mess to get out and back in that hole. I looked around the house and there are plenty of areas with bigger holes then this tight area that will be behind a sealed box. So will for go the the sealant for now or at least until I know I have all the wires I will ever need through that gap.

Thank you again!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Looney! Just what I needed to know. Not a lot on this topic on google that I could find. Makes sense to just drill out your own holes. I'm learning so much.

The only thing I'm reluctant to do is the foam seal bc what If I need to change a wire out or add a wire, it will be a mess to get out and back in that hole. I looked around the house and there are plenty of areas with bigger holes then this tight area that will be behind a sealed box. So will for go the the sealant for now or at least until I know I have all the wires I will ever need through that gap.

Thank you again!!
You are welcome.
The foam will come out without issue, if you need to pull another wire. Poke a hole in it with a small diameter screw driver, dig out what you need, then put another fresh shot of foam back in around the new wire. If you need to pull a wire out, just pull on it and it will come out.
You want to use BOTH the foam sealant in the hole, and the silicone around the box. The foam is to keep bugs and cold air out, and heat in. The silicone is to keep water from getting behind the box and rotting the siding.

Any holes cut into the envelope of the house, need to be sealed whether they have a junction box setting over them or not.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good find! Thank you for the specs. Is waterproofness necessary? This box will simply be carrying ethernet wires from the ground up to inside the house. There will be no water sensitive components inside. There are other boxes on the side of the house like the circuit breaker, etc that are not water proof and have been fine for 15 years! The area where the box is located doesn't get hounded by water, there is a good overhang above it. Just asking....

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are welcome.
The foam will come out without issue, if you need to pull another wire. Poke a hole in it with a small diameter screw driver, dig out what you need, then put another fresh shot of foam back in around the new wire. If you need to pull a wire out, just pull on it and it will come out.
You want to use BOTH the foam sealant in the hole, and the silicone around the box. The foam is to keep bugs and cold air out, and heat in. The silicone is to keep water from getting behind the box and rotting the siding.

Any holes cut into the envelope of the house, need to be sealed whether they have a junction box setting over them or not.
Makes perfect sense! That foam cuts easily too, glad you told me to just poke through it to add a wire. I am more confident in using it now!

Just added them to the home depot Grocery list!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense! That foam cuts easily too, glad you told me to just poke through it to add a wire. I am more confident in using it now!

Just added them to the home depot Grocery list!!
You can do it! Plan your work, then work your plan!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have anything against rubberized flexible conduit from the box vs. the cheap pvc pipe to the ground?

I feel like it will be easier for me to work with and bend and not have to have perfect 90 angle joints from ground to up the tree, etc. And I could use some of it to tack it on the wall of the house to carry the regular cat 5 to the two cameras on the back side of the house and protect them. And use the remaining to bring the direct burial cable from underground up to the electrical box.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CaliGirl if you are refering to this: AFC Cable Systems 1/2 x 100 ft. Non-Metallic Liquidtight Conduit-6002-30-00 - The Home Depot

That's a wise move, and used frequently for cables up trees.
Yes, exactly! Bring two samples of the direct burial cable with me to home depot to see if two cables will fit in the 1/2 conduit. Because I'd rather run one conduit up the tree for two cameras, then run the second cable out the side of the second junction box to the next camera. Nice clean looking install near the driveway.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
@CaliGirl The first two choices are the same box, and is not waterproof.

The third choice would work. They typically don't come with knockouts, you have to create your own with a drill and a bit like this: Amazon.com: Neiko 10194A Titanium Step Drill Bit, High Speed Steel | 1/4” to 1-3/8” | Total 10 Step Sizes: Home Improvement

Then use these: 1/2 in. PVC Male Terminal Adapter-E943D-CTN - The Home Depot
Secured in the box with these: 1/2 in. Rigid Conduit Locknuts (4-Pack)-26190 - The Home Depot

The hole that goes into the house, fill with this: GREAT STUFF 16 oz. Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant with Quick Stop Straw-99053993 - The Home Depot

After you are all finished, then use a good silicone caulk around the top and sides of the box. Leave the bottom of the box uncaulked.
@looney2ns is right on this one. Its also a good idea to run your conduit out of the bottom or the side of the box if possible. Water can come in to the box via the conduit. If your camera connection above the junction box isn't 100% watertight, water may run down the inside of your conduit and drip onto your equipment inside the box. If you have to run your conduit into the side of the junction box, drill your hole as low as possible on the side of the box. The hole that will be going into the house, on the back of the box, should be drilled toward the top of the box. This way if water does build up in the box, it has to fill up before entering the house.

I have opened many of junction boxes that were full of water and everything inside was ruined. Its not a bad idea to drill 1 or 2 drain holes in the bottom of the box, although some installers may disagree. Down here in FL, water gets into everything. conduit and junction boxes just keep the sun off of the wire and equipment.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bababouy here is what happened. I tried the home depot junction boxes. The mounting holes from the camera to the box didn't lineup well. I prob could have rigged something up but I had the $25 ebay Dahua junction boxes right there so it was hard not to use them. So I used the Dahua Boxes, the oring had a hard time staying on the box while mounting the camera, but I got it eventually. Then I got it all connected and up on the tree 30 feet in the air then I realized that the camera its self is not water tight behind it and so water will be able to reach inside the junction box, unlike the other Dahua camera. So the Dahua junction boxes for these Turet cameras are a big overkill. I thought about this as I was installing bc I remembered everyone's advice. My brothers were not around and I was all by myself so I said screw it and left it as is. I figured I would leave the bottom end of the conduit open so any water, which will likely be very little, can drain at the end of the conduit pipe if need be. It will be ground level and not a box, as I decided not to run conduit from camera to house. Only from tree to ground and ground to house. It would have been impossible for me to trench it that far. The soil is full of rocks and large pine tree roots and it was a disaster to just trench 10 feet 1 foot deep. And there is still snow in some areas.

To resolve this, I can return and take off the camera and use some of my foam expanding glue around the cat 5 cable where it exits from inside the junction box. That way no water an drain down the conduit but water can reside inside the junction box. Or add a small drain hole on box too as advised for water drainage.

The electrical box I bought for the house worked perfect. I ran conduit from the ground up to this and into the house.

I struggled with getting cat 5 cable through the plastic/rubber conduit without damaging it. It would not slide. So finally I got a little dish soap and a hose and filled the conduit with water then the cable slid right it. Just need a little lube apparently ;) I made sure to drain the water out afterwards and the environment is so dry right now I am hoping the conduit will dry out. At least it was waterproof direct burial cable?

I am not rea happy with the mounting location of the driveway camera. During the day it is perfect, but at night the IR light bounces off the nearby tree and blocks the view of the road. Unfortunately there is not a better tree that I can think of expect adding my own dedicated security pole which would look obvious and funny in this environment.

Trench from house to PTZ camera at lake< it is all clean and nice looking now:

Cameras mounted near driveway:

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
@CaliGirl The only thing that really needs protection from water is your connection. If you are going to use home depot junction boxes, 4x4x2 or 4x4x4, drill your own holes in the lid. We have used the larger 8x8x4 or 12x12x4 boxes and mounted the cameras to the side or the bottom of the box.
Try moving this camera to the left a bit so that the pine tree is not in the center of the screen. You are not capturing anything on the right side of the screen that is of importance anyway, just a cluster of pine trees. This will allow your IR to pass by the pine trees and allow the lens to open more, allowing more ambient light in

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras mounted to the tree look great. I have a palm tree in my front yard that is going to get the same treatment.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I better cut off my cat 5 connector and splice it back on with a waterproof connector cover I mean to do that but forgot until it was all done. Good point, that i what needs waterproofness, not the back of the camera.

Will move camera left of the tree a little when I get back there. Good idea.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, your wire can get wet, and it probably will if you are burying conduit underground. Water should not affect cat5e cable. Down here in FL we use conduit to protect wire from the sun first, then from rats and rodents, and last but not least - in the case of a short, the area surrounding the wire would be protected from any type of melting or fire. Also, dielectric grease in your jacks protect the connectors from moisture.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, your wire can get wet, and it probably will if you are burying conduit underground. Water should not affect cat5e cable. Down here in FL we use conduit to protect wire from the sun first, then from rats and rodents, and last but not least - in the case of a short, the area surrounding the wire would be protected from any type of melting or fire. Also, dielectric grease in your jacks protect the connectors from moisture.
I was in Miami all last week for a project. The sun and moisture seemed relentless. Such a different climate then around here. Thunderstormed really really hard the last day. I noticed very few CCTV cameras around the intersections but the ones that did had a lighting rod above each camera. On the other hand, there were PTZ dome cameras along every major highway everywhere. Huge 100 ft concentre polls such to house a little camera at the top. Amazing.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
The state uses the highway cams to keep an eye on accidents and broken down cars. We have a state roadside assistant service. If you break down on the side of the highway, you can call*347 I believe, and a road ranger will come help you out or tow you to a service station for free. I've run out of gas before and they give you a free 5 gallons to get you to the next exit. The local police also use the intersection cams to track vehicles that may be involved in crimes. As far as the weather goes, we pretty much plan on water and moisture getting into everything.