Elder Wanting to try a POE Camera

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

My first post here. I would like to try using a "Starter" POE camera for live streaming only. Could you please advise me of a brand and model number as a starter POE camera? I have a Netgear G5305P POE switch connected to my router. Sorry about not knowing how to get around on the site and apologize in advance for any "old person" errors of protocol.

Thank You,

nemoz2

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. Is this camera going to be used for viewing night and day? Will mounting it be a problem? Is it for security or for viewing wildlife? That may be more info than needed but it could be helpful in steering you in the right direction.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

My first post here. I would like to try using a "Starter" POE camera for live streaming only. Could you please advise me of a brand and model number as a starter POE camera? I have a Netgear G5305P POE switch connected to my router. Sorry about not knowing how to get around on the site and apologize in advance for any "old person" errors of protocol.

Thank You,

nemoz2
Welcome Nemoz2,

As you can see by gwminor48 questions there's a few things to consider:

Indoor? Outdoor?
Security? Wildlife? Scenic?
Daytime? Nighttime?

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind welcome and replies. This camera will be for outside and viewing the street. And day time will be best, one side of the cul-de-sac isn't 40 ft from my carport. Scenic is perhaps a good description of what I would like. I live on a cul-de-sac and like to watch the people walking by for exercise and the cars going to and fro. I am an elder and getting about isn't so easy now. I have a wifi on my kitty food bowl and one on my back gate. They are old Foscams but still show an image and are easy for me to reset. I really don't want a motion camera (PTZ?) yet, but for now one that will just aim and view. And can I ask about power failures? Do POE cams have to be reset after power failures... and is it complex or just button pushing?

Thank you for your kindness

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply and suggestion drunk penguin. That is a interesting username and I bet there is a story behind it.

You guys are all pros watching with Harley-Davidson's. And I do envy your knowledge you have and the good that you do for others.

I need something like a Cushman Scooter as I am a old dude. I don’t know and won’t know great, good, or average color. And the less whistles and bells the better for me. I was thinking about a bullet POE, nothing with zoom or left-right, up-down. If you had a grandfather a thousand miles away, what would you tell him to start with, plain and simple, but reliable and less than $100?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you able to mount and run wiring for this camera, or possibly have someone do it for you?

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, my grandson pulled three Cat-5E cables up into my attic and then out through the soffit . One is near my carport. One is under my front porch and one is under my patio doors in the back yard. Don't know if I will ever have 3 POEs, but while I had a youngster's help I did a little extra on the cables. I am seeing that some cam software cameras will not play on some browsers because of a plug-in? I know the IE is going to be history sometime in the future as MS is going to trash it and use Edge. So can you guide me to a simple bullet POE whose software will use Chrome?

I have been looking on YouTube for videos on how to connect a POE camera. My searches haven't been too successful for a basic setup.

Thanks so much for taking the time.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Nemoz2,

For daytime lighting conditions I like the 4k / 8MP Dahua OEM cameras.
For low light conditions I like the 2MP Dahua Starlight cameras.

The most affordable 4K Dahua OEM camera with a fixed lens iirc is about $150-160* ( model number IPC-Hxx48xx .. )
The most affordable 2MP Dahua OEM Starlight camera with a fixed lens iirs is about $120-130* ( model number IPC-Hxx42xx.. )

There are cheaper options, however I personally like the value proposition of the above choices.
( * - do double check the prices, as this is what I recall )

Please see #15 in my notes for Andy's info, let him know you are a member, as he gives a slight discount to those here as we're helping each other out here.
I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nemoz2
Most of us would recommend this cam at the bare minimum: Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology

I would get the 3.6mm lens version.

Are your cable's your grandson ran already have male connectors on them?
If so, it's as simple as plugging the cable into the cam, other end into POE switch.
Using a web browser you would then go to 192.168.1.108 and username: admin, password admin.

You can use the browser Pale Moon to view cams and not have to deal with IE's mess.

Or Dahua has a free program for your computer called SmartPss.

You can purchase the cam I named about from here: Aliexpress.com : Buy 2017 Top selling cameras 2MP IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW4231EM AS free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Price includes shipping. If in stock, it will arrive in 5 days or less.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks looney2ns, mat200, and gwminor48 for a lot of suggestions and reading plus a lot of info. I enjoy learning still so it seems I need to
get at the above info and references you guys so kindly submitted. I see there is some kind of points or badges for help given. How does that work as I owe you all.
Yes, I thought I was ready to install a POE, but I just needed to know a decent camera, and some simple instructions. The camera terms are not familiar to me and I apologize for asking dumb questions. Later.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks looney2ns, mat200, and gwminor48 for a lot of suggestions and reading plus a lot of info. I enjoy learning still so it seems I need to
get at the above info and references you guys so kindly submitted. I see there is some kind of points or badges for help given. How does that work as I owe you all.
Yes, I thought I was ready to install a POE, but I just needed to know a decent camera, and some simple instructions. The camera terms are not familiar to me and I apologize for asking dumb questions. Later.
Happy to have you here Nemoz2,

Just use the "like" thumbs up on the right side of each comment - that's how this board does "points".

Lots of great stuff to learn, and definitely some really cool things people have done with cameras.

Here check out this member ( nordic camera ) and what he's been doing:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
@nemoz2 Happy to hear you have a nice, helpful grandson. I'm no spring chicken myself but I'm thankfully still able to run cable - I'll enjoy doing it myself as long as I can.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can only learn by asking questions. ;)

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, here is a dumb question. I notice that all of the POE cams seem to have two cables coming from the camera. One of course I know is for the ethernet cable. The other looks like some kind of push-button cable. This can't be some kind of power connection cable as the POE gets the power from the POE Switch which is connected to the router. So what is this cable and its purpose? Thanks for your trouble for defining this cable for me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, here is a dumb question. I notice that all of the POE cams seem to have two cables coming from the camera. One of course I know is for the ethernet cable. The other looks like some kind of push-button cable. This can't be some kind of power connection cable as the POE gets the power from the POE Switch which is connected to the router. So what is this cable and its purpose? Thanks for your trouble for defining this cable for me.
Hi Nemoz2,

The other cable is a barrel connection which you can also use to power the PoE camera with something like a AC power adapter.

So you can communicate ( data ) and bring power into the unit via the ethernet cable ( to the RJ45 jack on one of the cables coming out ) OR power to the barrel cable and use cat5e/cat6 ethernet cable to just do the data communications to the other cable ( thus using both cables coming out of the camera )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The one that looks like a pushbutton, is if you are NOT using POE. You would plug a 12vdc power supply in it.

If you are using POE, then you only need the Ethernet cable jack.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
Not quite as dumb as I was. Thanks looney2ns. Will be quiet and give you guys a rest for a while.

nemoz2

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the place to post...someone please correct me or tell me how to start a new post.

I need help again please.

I finally have a Dahau cam, ordered from Andy. It is model IPC-HFW4830EP-S. I have it mounted, connected at camera with Cat5 ethernet cable goes into my house where the other ethernet end connects to POE Network switch port no.2. I installed the CD/software and have the Config Tool installed on desktop. I refreshed the iP config tool and it isn't finding my camera.

I only want to stream live video on this camera.

I think I am supposed to change the cam's IP address. I typed in the Dahau default address into IE and get "site not available."
Someone who has some free time please give me some guidance on how to connect the camera.

Thank You,
Nemoz2

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the place to post...someone please correct me or tell me how to start a new post.

I need help again please.

I finally have a Dahau cam, ordered from Andy. It is model IPC-HFW4830EP-S. I have it mounted, connected at camera with Cat5 ethernet cable goes into my house where the other ethernet end connects to POE Network switch port no.2. I installed the CD/software and have the Config Tool installed on desktop. I refreshed the iP config tool and it isn't finding my camera.

I only want to stream live video on this camera.

I think I am supposed to change the cam's IP address. I typed in the Dahau default address into IE and get "site not available."
Someone who has some free time please give me some guidance on how to connect the camera.

Thank You,
Nemoz2
Welcome Nemoz2,

Your PC will need to be on the same subnet to be able to talk to the IP camera.

Please see page 29 of the excellent notes which thanks to @giomania has been organized for us:
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs