Egging my house

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been running cameras 6 years and finally had my first occasion to use captured video as evidence against someone :(

I don't normally record motion past the end of my driveway, instead relying on a little secondary BI box that I have record sub streams continuously. However these kids had been around earlier in the day throwing rocks at the house. More than once in the same day, I discovered upon review of the video. They hadn't broken anything (lucky for them), but the event led me to raise my PTZ to record people on the road, and upgrade my continuous sub streams to continuous full streams. Good decision, as they came back later and practically posed for the video you see above.

I generally don't like the notion of turning in kids for minor mischief, but enough is enough. This morning I called the police and they sent out a deputy to take a statement and view the recordings. The kids were found within hours (small town), and I have since received an apology. They promised never to bother me again, and I hope for both our sakes that they keep their promise.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody's ever been here to trick or treat. House is too scary. And they go to the grocery store parking lot for "trunk or treat"...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No baseball players in that group lol. With the number of eggs they threw you almost wonder of they bought organic free range eggs instead of the usual cartons of 2 dozen that are marked down to $0.99 because they're about to go bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No baseball players in that group lol. With the number of eggs they threw you almost wonder of they bought organic free range eggs instead of the usual cartons of 2 dozen that are marked down to $0.99 because they're about to go bad.
They didnt buy anything...that is right out of mommy's fridge.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
bp2008,

Any idea why they singled you out? Not that their rock and egg throwing could be justified.
I assume they now know you have cameras. If these kids didn't learn their lesson, maybe they'll come back for revenge? Wearing black hoodies and bandannas?

Dried egg leaves a hell of a mess. We had to replace our two window screens. Couldn't get the dried egg off.... My father thought our house may have been targeted by fellow 7th graders who were pissed off w/ me.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea why they singled you out? Not that their rock and egg throwing could be justified.
Sure. I think it boils down to my house looking somewhat shabby. The lawn isn't tended as neatly as most others. The front porch is old and in disrepair (cosmetically). Three out of four front windows are blocked off with cardboard so it is dark inside for my projector TV, which also makes the house look uninhabited as there is almost never any visible light at the windows. Oh, and this is a good one: the layer of paint on the front door is so sun damaged that it has fallen off in shreds, making it look like a rabid dog tried to scratch its way in. And then there are all the cameras, which is extremely out of the ordinary. Add it all up and apparently it is intimidating. So, these kids walked up and knocked on the door last month. I didn't listen to the audio of this visit until after the rock throwing incident. Turns out, they were thrill seeking. They were joking about how they were scared, felt like they were in a horror movie, and saying they would run away if anyone answered the door. Of course when I answered and I wasn't some chainsaw wielding monster, they made up a story about looking for a friend's house, and went on their way. I have no idea how this turned into vandalism, but there it is.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Glad you were able to resolve this! When my house got egged I just cleaned up the mess (fortunately not yet really hardened). But then some neighbors had other things thrown including rocks, so I contacted police. They told me if there was no permanent damage, there was no crime, and they were not interested.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say, I bet if it was their houses they'd consider it a crime and a high priority one too.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If the kids remove the eggs themselves without leaving a mark then there is no permanent damage. If it leaves a mark or the kids themselves don't remove the eggs then guess what? Permanent damage.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
bp2008,

Thanks for the explanation. When they came up on your porch, they joked they were scared.

The "scared" aspect might explain the behavior and body language when they were throwing the eggs. Especially for the tall mid on the left, who starts running as soon as the gg leaves his hand. And a panicky run, directionless....

Cam235:

Interesting! If "no permanent damage, there was no crime"
- Can we egg police cars then?
- Might we leave a burning bag of dog crap on the policeman's front porch (assuming it cement), and ring the doorbell.
- When he answers, blast him with a garden hose.
- Halloween is coming. Toilet Paper the neighborhood. It's biodegradable, no permanent damage. And temporary damage is allowed, it seems...

The shackles are off! (lame political humor)

Fastb

shepscrook

n3wb
Reaction score
No permanent damage? Protein from the eggs can do some serious damage to paint or protective coatings. Saw some damage to some cars one day from eggs that were thrown on them at night, and sat until mid morning before it got washed off. If the police told you nothing they can do as it's no damage, then they probably were avoiding paperwork.