EE blocks incoming connections

Reaction score
I'm trying to access Blue Iris 4 from outside, using a VPN server on my Blue Iris PC. This used to work fine when I was using a landline, but now I've gone over to an EE 4G broadband service and it no longer works.

Investigating it a little, I've found that EE either blocks, or does not permit, incoming connections.

Has anyone had this problem? Any solutions?

Pete

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to access Blue Iris 4 from outside, using a VPN server on my Blue Iris PC. This used to work fine when I was using a landline, but now I've gone over to an EE 4G broadband service and it no longer works.

Investigating it a little, I've found that EE either blocks, or does not permit, incoming connections.

Pete
I'm with EE in the UK and use the DMSS app for my Dahua kit and have no issue with incoming connections from my NVR when the cameras are triggered. Maybe its something else, if EE blocked incoming connections you woundnt be able to get things like facetime calls of mobile email etc and notifications from other apps surely? .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Pete
Most cellular ISP's employ CGN (Carrier Grade NAT) and no public IP is available. Consider setting up Zerotier with Blue Iris, as here ==>> Blue Iris Secure Remote Access Using ZeroTier

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with EE in the UK and use the DMSS app for my Dahua kit and have no issue with incoming connections from my NVR when the cameras are triggered. Maybe its something else, if EE blocked incoming connections you woundnt be able to get things like facetime calls of mobile email etc and notifications from other apps surely? .
It works with your 4G connection because DMSS uses P2P (cloud-based) services.

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It works with your 4G connection because DMSS uses P2P (cloud-based) services.
I think its the EE 4G router they are know to have isses with some services in the UK like Sky All 4G routers and 4G and 5G phones have a IP address from a pool, most but not all use CGNAT as you say which can cause issues, people have found the TP link AC1200 4G LTE works better than EE's own router, just put the EE sim card into that and it works fine for most people using services like sky in the UK.

I think ISP equipment is always limited which is why I use my own modems and routers tbh and would steer clear of 4G routers and just have a hard wired line with no phone (SOGEA) which is what I have at present with a small nice provider called IDNet. I would point the issue at the 4G router as the culprit as Blue Iris may be having issues with the the supplied router. Also they use IPV6 which still uses 9CGNAT but the TP link seems to have better results with people using 4G equipment than cheap ISP equipment, not sure what its like in the US?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, people everywhere oftentimes are forced to use what's available to them, especially in rural areas. I've been in this house since Feb. '06 and have had 4 different ISP's because of the slow evolution of what was available. I've had:
  • May 2004 to Feb. 2006: HughesNet satellite, 1.5M down, 512K up, FAP, data cap
  • Feb. 2006 to Feb. 2009: Wild Blue satellite, 1.5M down, 512K up, FAP, data cap
  • Feb. 2009 to Nov. 2019: CenturyLink ADSL, 3.0M down, 512K up, no cap, public WAN IP
  • Nov. 2019 to Present: AT&T Fixed Wireless, 47M down, 11M up, 300GB cap, no public IP (CGNAT).
The DSL afforded me a public IP so I could more easily access my cameras remotely, the current fixed wireless does not. I ditched the DSL because after 10 years, the speed and dependability never increased, only the price...I was paying $80 for data-only, no voice, and when it went to $82 I got rid of them. Besides, it was very flakey...a squirrel could fart on a clear day and it would go out.

We're supposed to get our fiber by Sept. of this year, 300M or 1G down packages and public IP available....I am soooo looking forward to it. This little section of a rural area is moving into the 21st century finally...at least Internet access-wise.

Last edited:

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately, people everywhere oftentimes are forced to use what's available to them, especially in rural areas. I've been in this house since Feb. '06 and have had 4 different ISP's because of the slow evolution of what was available. I've had:
  • May 2004 to Feb. 2006: HughesNet satellite, 1.5M down, 512K up, FAP, data cap
  • Feb. 2006 to Feb. 2009: Wild Blue satellite, 1.5M down, 512K up, FAP, data cap
  • Feb. 2009 to Nov. 2019: CenturyLink ADSL, 3.0M down, 512K up, no cap, public WAN IP
  • Nov. 2019 to Present: AT&T Fixed Wireless, 47M down, 11M up, 300GB cap, no public IP (CGNAT).
The DSL afforded me a public IP so I could more easily access my cameras remotely, the current fixed wireless does not. I ditched the DSL because after 10 years, the speed and dependability never increased, only the price...I was paying $80 for data-only, no voice, and when it went to $82 I got rid of them. Besides, it was very flakey...a squirrel could fart on a clear day and it would go out.

We're supposed to get our fiber by Sept. of this year, 300M or 1G down packages and public IP available....I am soooo looking forward to it. This little section of a rural area is moving into the 21st century finally...at least Internet access-wise.
Over here Fiber is coming in 2026 for my rural area, in the mean time crosstalk eats away at my bandidth, srated with 63Mbps down and 17Mbps (no cap) up and now its 49/50Mbps down and 15Mbps up. I use a Openreach ECI modem which has a lantiq chipset (same as my DSLAM) so they match nicely, but its not ideal here with criosstalk, cant belive the prices in the US though. I pay $43 for my Broadband with no voice (by choice) and my Mobile phone is unlimited data (no cap) unlimited texts and voice with EE at $24 (this was a deal as they mucked my account up) Both Broadband and Celluar are 30 day rolling contracts which is nice. Fibre of up to 1GB symetrical is a dream, I would be happy with 100Mbps down and up, I remember dial up at 56Kbps makes me feel old, and in 2013 I was suing maybe 5Gbps a month now its half a terabyte, how times change hey. Its not easy in a rural area, all my equipment including NVR is on a APC 1000VA sine wave UPS for safety.