Edge Router by Ubiquiti

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now I am using a Buffalo router with custom firmware which was best thing 5 years ago but with today devices, it a thing of a past and need replacing. I never used wifi on the buffalo so I am not worrying about wifi. I have a standalone wifi AP which i plan to replace too

The router i am looking to replace it with is Edge Router by Ubiquiti and I am wondering if anyone have good or negivitve experience with it?

I have 4 kids and all have personal devices plus several TV with streaming boxes so buffalo seem to be choking on it some days.

This is the model I am thinking of getting

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ERLITE-3 Desktop Router (Black): Computers & Accessories

I am also replacing both of my Wifi AP which is Netgear over to Ubiquiti as well too

Feedback welcomed here

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Me and several of my friends have em, work great IMHO.. setup can be a lil involved as its an advanced pice of kit.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting this Ubiquiti router myself. I am used to working with enterprise stuff (Cisco, Juniper, etc) at work but almost embarrassed to say I have an apple airport extreme at home. The airport has been rock solid however i want to be able to configure things that apple wont let me.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its capable of GigE subnet routing, so you can segregate networks either physically or with vlans and still enjoy full speeds between them.. I'm running public web services behind them and Ive load tested my webservers and it can handle a ton of packets w/out skipping a beat. It should be capable of handling fiberoptic/GigE home internet speeds w/out a problem.

it has ipsec (AES128/SHA1) vpn crypto acceleration for great speeds at minimal load (~400Mbps VPN Capable), however I have to console into the router and install/configure freeradius from shell as the webUI didnt have an auth system you can setup/manage through the WebUI.. but thats okay I use same FreeRadius server for WiFi x509 auth.

Its working well with the native IPv6 stack comcast provides for my business account w/static IP's

Ive reported and had fixed many bugs, if you dig through the changelogs you'll find my username mentioned several times.. great support, great community.. ontop of security fixes.. cant really ask for more.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It should be capable of handling fiberoptic/GigE home internet speeds w/out a problem.
Awesome to hear, I have Cox's Gigablast service, which is 1 gig up/down. Speedtests are mid-900's (to a local site, anyway).

Question for you. I see the ERLITE-3 can support multiple WAN connections, and can failover. Do you know if it'd be possible to configure it so that when the WAN has failed over, only select devices can access the Internet?

I'm thinking about using one of the new Netgear LTE modems as a backup, if Cox ever goes down. But it's on feasible if I can restrict Internet access to my alarm panel and home automation stuff.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The more I read about this router, the more excited I am (especially at it's price point).

I mentioned it as a possible solution (on another forum I'm on) and got two or three folks whose thought was the OS is buggy, the only support realistically comes from their community forums, ... and that pfSense would be a better way to go.

.. but looking into official pfSence products, they seem 5x more expensive than the EdgeRouters... But I think the guys commenting were all running pfSense on an old PC they had laying around. I don't have room for that, nor do I want a box pulling that much power running 24x7 just to route.

@nayr, if you had to buy again, would you still go with one of these ERLite-3s?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fuck yeah I would, I gave up pfSense for the EdgeRouter and never regretted it.. back when I did pfSense could not thread network routing across cpu's, so I was having to feed it a very powerful machine to handle GigE subnet routing and VPN speeds that this lil box handles w/out issue.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I just ordered the Edgerouter and also I grabbed myself one of those Pro wireless AP. Being a prime memeber, it'll be here in a day or two. I am excited about it. :)

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ordered the Edgerouter and also I grabbed myself one of those Pro wireless AP. Being a prime memeber, it'll be here in a day or two. I am excited about it. :)
I just received mine yesterday. It was running a pretty old software version so i tried to upgrade it and it failed. Tried downloading several older releases and those failed too. Had to upgrade from command line. From what I found online it seems to be a common problem.

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one of these, and it is awesome. Currently, I am using it for VPN access to home.

What I have NOT done yet is figure out how to set up a second (separate) LAN (presumably on ETH2) to segregate the cameras and BI server from the rest of my network, while still allowing access to view BI.

If any experts have pointers, or can point to some instructions, I'd love to give it a shot! I am network savvy / literate, but far from a network admin.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one of these, and it is awesome. Currently, I am using it for VPN access to home.

What I have NOT done yet is figure out how to set up a second (separate) LAN (presumably on ETH2) to segregate the cameras and BI server from the rest of my network, while still allowing access to view BI.

If any experts have pointers, or can point to some instructions, I'd love to give it a shot! I am network savvy / literate, but far from a network admin.
You might try asking on Ubiquiti community forum, it pretty popular forum and I am sure you would get your answer pretty quick on there

Ubiquiti community page - Home - Ubiquiti Networks Community

Uniquiti forum - Forums - Ubiquiti Networks Community

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Me and several of my friends have em, work great IMHO.. setup can be a lil involved as its an advanced pice of kit.
Curious,

Are you using ACL or Zone based Firewall on your Edgerouter?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have my network segmented into several vlans/subnets with appropriate firewalls between each of them.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The EdgeRouter is a huge improvement over our old Buffalo router. We are very happy with it. Be sure that the first thing to do is to upgrade firmware if you get one which made a world difference when setting up for the first time.

I also installed the wireless pro AP and it was easy to install. I haven't RTFM yet but it seem that both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ are using the same SSID so I have no idea which GHZ the devices are using when connected to it. I guess I need to RTFM however all my streaming boxes in the house seem to response better with the Wireless Pro AP over our previous Netgear AP.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The EdgeRouter is a huge improvement over our old Buffalo router. We are very happy with it. Be sure that the first thing to do is to upgrade firmware if you get one which made a world difference when setting up for the first time.

I also installed the wireless pro AP and it was easy to install. I haven't RTFM yet but it seem that both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ are using the same SSID so I have no idea which GHZ the devices are using when connected to it. I guess I need to RTFM however all my streaming boxes in the house seem to response better with the Wireless Pro AP over our previous Netgear AP.
So far I am very happy with the EdgeRouter and the AP Pro as well. You can see which band the clients are using in the UniFi controller.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting this Ubiquiti router myself. I am used to working with enterprise stuff (Cisco, Juniper, etc) at work but almost embarrassed to say I have an apple airport extreme at home. The airport has been rock solid however i want to be able to configure things that apple wont let me.
I switched from the Airport (which was rock solid) to Edgerouter and Pro AP a month or two ago. I sold my airport and airport express on ebay and it was pretty much a straight swap cost wise. Great decision

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I switched from the Airport (which was rock solid) to Edgerouter and Pro AP a month or two ago. I sold my airport and airport express on ebay and it was pretty much a straight swap cost wise. Great decision
That's my plan. Good to hear it worked so well!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I need to RTFM however all my streaming boxes in the house seem to response better with the Wireless Pro AP over our previous Netgear AP.
Ideally you should wire anything that doesn't move on a regular basis, especially if it is data-heavy like a video streaming box! Just the other day I had to talk my older brother out of setting up 3 desktop PCs for his kids using wifi.

Last edited: