Economic solution to view IP CAMs on TVs

Tomscave

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an extra RG6 cable running to each room, so as a temporary solution for a NVR feed to 2 TV's, I used an HDMI to composite adapter with F to RCA adapters at each end. I'm powering the converter via one of the USB ports on the rear of the nvr. http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite-Video-Audio-Converter/dp/B00GH92V8C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411012102&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+converter+to+composite
and
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043008&p_id=4130&seq=1&format=2
This will hold me over until I can run Ethernet cables. Surprisingly I get a really good picture on the TV's.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had to go back and read the OP, and I think there is a much simpler solution. This does for me what Karateo is trying to do.

I cast BI using a Chromecast to my 80" display in the entertainment room. To do it use chrome browser on the machine hosting the BI software. Select Google cast. There will be a small hard to see down arrow which allows you to select (Cast entire screen (experimental) ). Select that and what every is displaying on your PC will cast, with sound, to the display.

I've been using this for several month and it works flawlessly. I have Chromecasts on several T.V.'s and only need to select which room to cast to. You can only be in one room at a time so I guess this might work for Karateo. BTW, I cast movies from my hard drive library using the same set up and it streams beautifully. Totally different solution but might work for some.
Any more information on that? That sounds really interesting

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any more information on that? That sounds really interesting
The only hardware you need is the Chromecast dongle. It really is pretty simple. As Icerabbit said, a lot of variables for each owns decision. Total investment $35 per Chromecast device. Groupon sells them $25 refurbished.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wish I thought of that before I ran cable to two monitors haha. Wonder how good they work on hdmi to vga or hdmi to dvi adapters

Don't know if I want to deal with a blue iris system though