Ebay computer sellers

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to pick up a Dell desktop computer. Since there are so many dealers selling Dell refurbs I was wondering if anyone has had particularly good results with a specific seller?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dell Outlet and Dell Refurbished, if you catch a sale it should be about as cheap as it gets. I came very close to buying a Dell Optiplex yesterday; Intel 12th Gen CPU, 32 GB RAM, a decent video card, Windows 10 Professional, $219 + tax w/free ship. They were 50% off on a New Years Sale as recent as yesterday.

ETA

Dell Refurbished is offering the Grade A Refurbished Condition Dell OptiPlex 3070 Micro Intel Core i3-9100T Desktop with 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD Storage for a low $144.50 after 50% off Coupon Code: "YEAREND3070" (Exp Soon). This includes a 100-day warranty, you can add a 1 year warranty for $39.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I know you said Dell, just passing on info for a seemingly good deal on an i7-8700 box. I just bought one from this posting:
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF | i7-8700, 3.20ghz | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | Win10P | eBay

The seller accepted my offer of $150, with shipping added the total was $165.99, which I think is a good price for this if it is as advertised. I don't have it yet, so can't comment on the box or the seller.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dell Outlet and Dell Refurbished, if you catch a sale it should be about as cheap as it gets. I came very close to buying a Dell Optiplex yesterday; Intel 12th Gen CPU, 32 GB RAM, a decent video card, Windows 10 Professional, $219 + tax w/free ship. They were 50% off on a New Years Sale as recent as yesterday.

ETA

Dell Refurbished is offering the Grade A Refurbished Condition Dell OptiPlex 3070 Micro Intel Core i3-9100T Desktop with 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD Storage for a low $144.50 after 50% off Coupon Code: "YEAREND3070" (Exp Soon). This includes a 100-day warranty, you can add a 1 year warranty for $39.

Could you give me a link on the Intel 12th gen cpu. It may not still be on sale, but I never can find the good deals on the Dell Outlet. I may be going to the wrong place. The I3 would work for me but I'd really prefer SSD storage.

The HP looks like a good find also.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you're ok with a small form factor, try looking for an HP Slimline HP 290-P0014 on ebay. If you are patient, you can find someone selling one that does not know what CPU (i7) is in it and can be had for very cheap or one is "for parts" that you can fix. I have two of them now, one running BI and one running my main desktop. I added a StarTech.com M2 PCIe SSD Adapter and an SSD.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

ETA

Just an FYI, that Dell Optiplex 3070 MFF (micro form factor) has no place for a 3.5" drive, has only one SATA 3.0 interface and it is tiny =>> specs, MFF version far right column :cool:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you give me a link on the Intel 12th gen cpu. It may not still be on sale, but I never can find the good deals on the Dell Outlet. I may be going to the wrong place. The I3 would work for me but I'd really prefer SSD storage.

The HP looks like a good find also.
The model I saw was an Optiplex 7070, Dell had a 50% off sale so I will throw up a link but the inventory changes constantly. I would wait for the next sale. One thing I noticed yesterday, the Dell Outlet prices were much higher than the Dell Refurbished site.

Deal.PNG

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The model I saw was an Optiplex 7070, Dell had a 50% off sale so I will throw up a link but the inventory changes constantly. I would wait for the next sale. One thing I noticed yesterday, the Dell Outlet prices were much higher than the Dell Refurbished site.

Oh, I understand...and it sure did change; when I clicked on it it's for the 3070 MFF, a tiny micro.
Caveat emptor!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Size is not an issue for me, but no place for a 3.5" drive is not a preference. However with a SATA interface I could stick a SSD in it.
Sure you could do that. It also has a M.2 Socket 3 (for SATA / NVMe SSD) so you could put Windows, BI and the BI "db" folder on that and put video clips on the 2.5" SSD but if do that you may want to insure that 2.5" SSD is surveillance-rated since it's not a HDD.

Regarding " Size is not an issue for me"..........It's certainly your choice but not sure why one would buy a cramped MFF versus a SFF or mini-tower that can house at least 1 or more surveillance-rated 3.5" HDD's. I was just trying to make you aware of its capacity and limitations...if it still cranks your tractor, then by all means......:cool:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh, I understand...and it sure did change; when I clicked on it it's for the 3070 MFF, a tiny micro.
Caveat emptor!
Half of the PC's I was considering literally went out of stock while I was reading the spec sheets :facepalm:

Luckily I came to my senses and decided to made do with my current but dated WIN 10 system. 4th Gen Intel I-5 w/4 GB RAM, runs fine if you only need to do one thing. This is my read Ipcamtalk system.

MY hand built BI system has plenty of horsepower.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
While I don't have a specific seller recommendation, I think you are safe with any "high volume" seller with a great seller rating (high volume meaning a lot of completed transactions). These people are selling as a business. If they have a great rating, it shows they have their shit together. It also means that while mistakes will happen, when it does happen these sellers work to make it right.

Buying something from a random person with no or no ratings isn't a guarantee things will go badly, but I think the odds are higher than someone doing it as a legitimate business.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I don't have a specific seller recommendation, I think you are safe with any "high volume" seller with a great seller rating (high volume meaning a lot of completed transactions). These people are selling as a business. If they have a great rating, it shows they have their shit together. It also means that while mistakes will happen, when it does happen these sellers work to make it right.

Buying something from a random person with no or no ratings isn't a guarantee things will go badly, but I think the odds are higher than someone doing it as a legitimate business.
Well, that's what I'm thinking. I'm sure one could get a defective computer but I would think the high volume, good rating dealers would be pretty consistent in providing good machines, or at least making things right if it was bad out of the box. Comparable computers look cheaper from these Ebay sellers than the Dell refurb site, but I'm going to monitor the site for a while and see what pops up.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Consider the ability of a PC to add HDDs for the surveil recordings, such as WD Purples. SSDs aren't up to the task.