Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How convenient......:wtf:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
America's Class I railroads guilt as charged! These carriers have been doing this sort of thing for decades! Hopefully it has finally bit them in the rear!
The RR's own so much real estate in the U.S. and go back so far with deeply planted roots. Based on that and with lots of politicians in their pockets and skeletons in their proverbial closet, they are untouchable. They pretty much come and go as they please, when it pleases them.

I recall, I think it was late 79's or early 80's, the NEC threatened to withhold funding to any agency that continued to use a conductor with green insulation for anything but earth ground. At the time we had red, yellow and green wires for...you guessed it...for the 120VAC red, yellow and green traffic signal indications, white was neutral and earth ground was bare copper. It is a controlled-access situation, only permitted and certified individuals allowed in the traffic signal pull boxes and cabinets, but the NEC prevailed, the hot for the green traffic signal was changed to brown insulation....everyone BUT....you guessed it again....the railroad! They could color anything anyway they desired. :confused:

Etech

n3wb
Reaction score
You got it! The Government and the RR's are joined at the hip! They have been throughout history. Did you know that during WW II the RR's wer taken over by our Federal Government? This amounted to the Fed's managing the RR's. They needed to get troops and equipment across the country as fast as possible and guess what, they did! When management returned after the war they quickly dismantled the passenger service that was in place and kept at it until it dissolved into Amtrak in the 1980's. Amtrak, (owned by the Government) keeps passenger service alive across the country still today and the pay the RR's for the right to run trains on their tracks! As I said, joined at the hip!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score