Easier way to change the zoom on a varifocal camera?

PeskyPete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great to be able to add a zoom level to a profile? For me, I would like to zoom out during daytime and then in for night captures. Is there a way to script this somehow?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
A varifocal camera is not a "zoom" camera. A varifocal is designed to allow you to set the focal length at the time of installation and, possibly, change it IF you move it to another location, for example. The mechanism is not designed for regular zoom functionality. If you want that, buy a real zoom capable camera. A zoom camera does allow for presets while a varifocal doesn't for the reason that it is not a zoom camera.

PeskyPete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, it has a x4 optical zoom lens. I thought it was called a varifocal, but I was mistaken. It is the Dahua 2mp starlight model ipc-hdw2231r-zs.
The software has a zoom slider, so if anyone knows if this setting can be called in some way, that would be great. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it has a x4 optical zoom lens. I thought it was called a varifocal, but I was mistaken. It is the Dahua 2mp starlight model ipc-hdw2231r-zs.
The software has a zoom slider, so if anyone knows if this setting can be called in some way, that would be great. Thanks
It is a varifocal camera. Its not designed for the purpose you intend to use it.

PeskyPete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I am using the teminology 'zoom' because Dahau calls it that in its software. Sorry if that caused offense. I'll just call it magnification.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I am using the teminology 'zoom' because Dahau calls it that in its software. Sorry if that caused offense. I'll just call it magnification.
its not what you call it. Its not designed for your purpose.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For better or for worse, if you have a Windows PC that’s always on (and is on the same network as your cameras), the DahuaSunriseSunset tool that @bp2008 wrote can switch your camera between normal and night profiles and additionally change the zoom and focus to values you set. You can do a forum search to find the thread with the download and instructions.

PeskyPete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For better or for worse, if you have a Windows PC that’s always on (and is on the same network as your cameras), the DahuaSunriseSunset tool that @bp2008 wrote can switch your camera between normal and night profiles and additionally change the zoom and focus to values you set. You can do a forum search to find the thread with the download and instructions.
That sounds promising! Thanks for the info. I will investigate.