Dynamic DNS suggestion?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What’s everybody using for DDNS? I’m currently using no-IP and I would like to consider a different provider. My home network is using Unifi infrastructure.

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using no-ip since 2012 and have grandfathered in 25 hostnames for $25 a year so I'm not going anywhere; these days they're $24 a year for ONE. Their free DDNS has to be re-newed every 30 days, IIRC.

I found this a good read:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It’s strange, I was confirming my address every month and then for some reason they put it in “redemption”. No idea why. Now that address is no longer associated with my account.

I’d like to find something that’s constant, even if it costs a little bit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It’s strange, I was confirming my address every month and then for some reason they put it in “redemption”. No idea why. Now that address is no longer associated with my account.

I’d like to find something that’s constant, even if it costs a little bit.
You can use the free ddns service on this forum....
Or some router manufacturers like Asus offer free ddns

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use my firewallls (pfSense) built in ddns service with cloudflares api. I bought a .us domain name from namecheap for 10 years for less than $50. Then I made some A records for my domain name, including a wildcard, with cloudflare. I also got a free valid wildcard ssl certificate from Let'sEncrypt and use HA Proxy to proxy my WAN traffic through pfSense.

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can use the free ddns service on this forum....
Or some router manufacturers like Asus offer free ddns
@fenderman I appreciate the reply. I just set up my DDNS using the link you provided. Is there routine maintenance that I'll need to do in order to keep it active? I noticed that BI Tools was mentioned. Should I add it there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman I appreciate the reply. I just set up my DDNS using the link you provided. Is there routine maintenance that I'll need to do in order to keep it active? I noticed that BI Tools was mentioned. Should I add it there?
I don't believe there is anything you need to do to keep it active. What are you using to update the hostname?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't believe there is anything you need to do to keep it active. What are you using to update the hostname?
Thanks. It looks like BI Tools is checking the IP every 60 seconds. I'm assuming BI Tools will update it if/when the IP changes. I'll be getting 1 gig symmetrical fiber later this summer from my utility company and they offer a reserved IP, I'll probably do that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. It looks like BI Tools is checking the IP every 60 seconds. I'm assuming BI Tools will update it if/when the IP changes. I'll be getting 1 gig symmetrical fiber later this summer from my utility company and they offer a reserved IP, I'll probably do that.
Yes it's checking so it can update it. If they give you the static IP for free definitely go that route but I wouldn't pay for it. It's a money grab by cable companies because It cost them nothing to implement.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes it's checking so it can update it. If they give you the static IP for free definitely go that route but I wouldn't pay for it. It's a money grab by cable companies because It cost them nothing to implement.
Thanks. I believe the static IP is included.

Stephen_L

n3wb
Reaction score
For anyone else interested. I was looking for a solution to this as well and was pleasantly surprised to find that a free DDNS service is included with my ASUS router. It was also extremely easy to set up OpenVPN with it as well.
Cheers

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
duckdns is another free DDNS option. easily set up and can be maintained via most any operating system. first used from an asus router and now from pfsense.