Dual router blues

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My new ISP (Quantum Fiber/CenturyLink) recently did a new install on my home and now, unlike prior CenturyLink fiber setups, the ONT now has to go through a CenturyLink router before getting to my Orbi router in order for me to get Internet access. There is no way around this as I've tested with different routers and configurations and switches and the only way I get connected to the internet is by going through the CenturyLink router, which is a turd situation that the CenturyLink tech confirmed. Remote access to my BI server and push notifications from my 21 Andy-bought cams all worked great before the CenturyLink router but now don't work due to the two router setup. I can remotely access the Blue Iris server using Google Remote desktop but need to be able to get push notifications and BI app access on my phone.

While I know it's a travesty, I never used a VPN in my prior setup and had an open port 81 to get UI3 and remote access to Blue Iris. I've tried the recommendations in this post but wasn't able to get remote access working. Anyone had to plow this field before and provide some straightforward stuff to try? I've got the LAN addresses for the CenturyLink and Orbi routers and have tried forwarding port 81 on both routers without success. I assume the fix is basic but I'm anxious to get remote access in the short term working before diving in a permanent VPN solution.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you put the new router into passthrough mode so that you are then only using your existing router?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you put the new router into passthrough mode so that you are then only using your existing router?
The CenturyLink router has an option to disable the NAT in its configuration interface. I'm trying to do this remotely, through, and when I tried disabling that yesterday my system went offline and I had to have someone physically go to the computer and enable it again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's the role of the Orbi router as compared to the CenturyLink router?
Is it used because of the Wi-Fi?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Your probably Double NAT-ted. Might have to put the Orbi in Bridge mode or Acces Point mode, and let the Centuylink do NAT. then see whatcha get from port 81 on the century link.
They might not have the functions you need available on the fiber router. Which is a bitch.
I'm trialing Verizon 5G Home internet. and I had to very slim pickings on settings.
I had my Asus router all set up and working with VPN and DDNS n shit...thru Comcast. Now It's in AP mode.
But Somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse at Verizon, added 5g internet for 35$ a month for 3 years, and then He took $10 a line off 2 lines for Some Customer loyalty shit.
And It's like i'm paying $15/mo for 320 down and 22 up.
Comcast is $79/mo with 85 down and 6-8 up.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Dumb question
Can a Switch pass traffic that has different Subnets running across it?
Like for example, if you had 4 wires plugged in. 2 devices talking on 192.168.0.x and 2 devices talking on 192.168.1.x?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the role of the Orbi router as compared to the CenturyLink router?
Is it used because of the Wi-Fi?
The Orbi router was my primary router from which my Blue Iris server and all wifi devices were set up. It was great because the ethernet cable from the ONT went right to the Orbi.

With the CenturyLink service change, the ONT must now connect to the CenturyLink router and the Orbi plugs into a port of the CenturyLink router. Everything originally set up with the Orbi seems to work like it did before except for Blue Iris remote connectivity and P2P push notifications from DMSS from my individual cams.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It might be worth a call to Centurylink support( Kill me now) to see if you can bring your own modem,,,,,I think they make you use it because the Subscriber Name and password is inserted into a WAn page of the router.
I'm futzing with a new Century link modem like this. they installed it last week.
Screenshot 2022-04-18 221202.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah thats the one I'm now working with. I enabled port 81 on that device, and my cams are on Ethernet @ 192.168.1.1, and my Centurylink internet is giving me a WiFi adapter address of 192.168.0.1
I think this router might have enough settings to eventually go VPN and I think I saw a page where you could enter a DDNS, like No-IP or something.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It might be worth a call to Centurylink support( Kill me now) to see if you can bring your own modem,,,,,I think they make you use it because the Subscriber Name and password is inserted into a WAn page of the router.
I'm futzing with a new Century link modem like this. they installed it last week.
View attachment 125634
In my area Quantum fiber is now servicing fiber for CenturyLink customers. They aren't charging anything for the CenturyLink modem/router, however, so I assumed the router had something to do with differentiating the legacy customers served by CenturyLink and the new Quantum customers, but that was just a guess.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah thats the one I'm now working with. I enabled port 81 on that device, and my cams are on Ethernet @ 192.168.1.1, and my Centurylink internet is giving me a WiFi adapter address of 192.168.0.1
I think this router might have enough settings to eventually go VPN and I think I saw a page where you could enter a DDNS, like No-IP or something.
Yep, that's my set up exactly with the same LAN ip addresses. Did you get yours working?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I only had breif amount of free time to get it working, So I cheated and found something about about opening port 81 on LAN and WAn.

Then the BI web server started working/

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
havent had time to revisit this yet this week, Lots to do outside now with Spring showing up. Might have to leave it this way until I get hacked LOL....
Получите VPN, черт возьми!

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ok.
I can't find a good user manual.
it's all the basic shit.
This thing has a lot of settings, and I better go look in the Century Link Box and see if there is a fucking manual. grrrr

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Bam.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the CenturyLink C4000XG is a fiber modem/router and you've run one it's LAN ports to the WAN port of the Orbi and so it's a double NAT?

Since the C4000XG is a router, why not disable DHCP in the Orbi, give the Orbi a static IP in the same subnet as the C4000XG (192.168.0.XXX), connect a LAN port from the C4000XG to a LAN port on the Orbi and let the C4000 perform the routing? The Orbi will serve as a Wireless Access Point and switch for the same LAN.
If that works then forward your BI port to the BI server's IP in the C4000XG.

Last edited: