Ds-9008hwi-st

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Had a question about some specs on this DVR.

The place where I work is looking to upgrade security systems and the contractor proposed a Hikvison DS-9008HWI-ST system to get away from their current Analog Everfocus system with some 1.3MP 720p IP cameras. I read the specs on the DVR but I'm a little unsure about its specs and whether or not it's a true HD DVR. http://overseas.hikvision.com//uploadfile/image/20150705115236710.PDF

It states in the specs that encoding resolution at Main Stream goes no higher than WD1 (960H), yet playback resolution is in all kinds of resolutions like 5mp, 3mp, 1080, 720, etc.

The reason I'm confused is at my own home I have a Turbo HD DS-7208HGHI-SH system, an HD-TVI system. So I'm not familiar with the capabilities of an IP system. But in its encoding, it plainly says that it records in 1080p and 720p HD and playback also in 1080p and 720p.

Is the DS9008HWI system good for HD or should I recommend another DVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@inforlonghaul That is a hybrid system that supports analog and ip. It will not support tvi. Hikvision does sell hybrids that support tvi and ip....
If you are going ip that DVR is a waste..get a hikvision NVR.
What cameras are they proposing?

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I apologize. I understand that the DS-9008HWI-ST doesn't handle TVI. But does the DS-9008HWI-ST still record in HD, even though it says encoding resolution is WD1? That's the big question. The IT guy is asking for my opinion on the upgrades so I want to give the best recommendation.

Would an NVR be the best option? My employer is a University with many buildings and the particular building they're updating is in another town about 20 miles away. I would be concerned about issues if the network went down, then there'd be a loss of video footage, right?

The particular cameras that were proposed are these two, a final decision hadn't been made yet: http://overseas.hikvision.com//uploadfile/image/20150705055018393.PDF

The new buildings we have are already wired up on Cat5, so I'm cool with going to an IP system. For the off-campus building they're upgrading, the contractors bid is like $2700 for the DVR, labor, and installing 4 IP cameras, while continuing to use the old Analog cameras that are currently in place until the burn up -- then they'd be replaced with a true IP camera, but I digress.

However, we do have a few dormitories that are still running on the old analog RG59 cable. Would I be crazy to recommend an HD-TVI system for these dorms so we wouldn't have a hire a contractor to run Cat5 and use more expensive IP equipment. I did the math and for the price of $2700, we could install in 3 dorms a 16 Channel Hikvision HD-TVI DVR and with a total of 20 720p cameras.

We have one building, our Student Center, with 6 DVRS and 96 cameras. It's wired with Cat5 but running analog cameras on an analog-to-ethernet balun. To upgrade DVRs are $1,500 each and going $250 per IP camera, we'd be spending about $35,000, not to mention labor for the contractor. But i'm trying to get us to do more stuff in-house as I have a little bit of experience installing DVRs and cameras.

I'd like to see us upgrade to all HD if possible, but not spend $50,000 on upgrading to all IP, especially when HD-TVI is a fraction of the cost. Money is definitely a hot topic at my University so they're careful about where they spend.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@inforlonghaul The D1, is referring to the analog portion. That unit can handle 16 ip cameras as well. If you are not going to be connecting analog cameras to the unit, its a complete waste...get an NVR.
If you homerun the ethernet to the NVR then it will not be dependent on any network. The cameras you linked to also have an SD card slot that you can use as a redundancy (not available with TVI). I would go with the 2mp for better low light performance. Note that there are new 2mp and 4mp cameras from hikvision that have better low light performance than those cams. Those cameras are pricey because they are varifocal. Do you need that? probably not. You can get the new 2mp hikvision WD cameras for just over 100 each...
If you already have ethernet run, installing these will be a walk in the park. TVI is only about half the cost for a comparable camera...with ip, you have redundancy and lots of options, for example going to a pc vms at a later date if you need a specific function...the only thing you need to consider is if you have lots of runs over 300 feet then you need to add switches in between or use expensive extenders.
Also, keep in mind that tvi will require a high quality coax so if it not a good cable the image will suffer.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision does sell hybrids that support tvi and ip....
Actually they do sell the following tvi hybrids: DS-90xxHQHI-SH, although the price range is a bit high.
Infact more affordable could be the DS-73xxHGHI-SH/DS-73xxHQHI-SH series where by disabling an analog/TVI channel it can be added IP channel ot its place. However, there is a limatation for the IP channels up to FullHD resolution.