DS-7608NI-K2-8P - Firmware upgrade process

paddymch

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Fairly new to this - would like to upgrade the NVR firmware to version 4.0 - UK portal shows that this is now available

What is the upgrade process - do I need to go through each of the iterations of the firmware as part of the process
It's currently on 3.4.107 (which is not in the portal!)
are all there - do I need to go through each of these in order?

I have some issues with 3.4.107 that I'd really like to fix - can't rename camera's / NVR in HIK app - also I'd like to be able to interface with the NVR from the laptop and setup motion detection / intrusion detection which I can only do, right now, while connected to the NVR.

Any help / tips / pointers greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's currently on 3.4.107 (which is not in the portal!)
Try here instead :

Be aware - upgrading to the 4.x firmware has been quite troublesome for some, due to corrupted configurations no longer allowing login.

I have some issues with 3.4.107 that I'd really like to fix - can't rename camera's / NVR in HIK app - also I'd like to be able to interface with the NVR from the laptop and setup motion detection / intrusion detection which I can only do, right now, while connected to the NVR.
That sounds more like problems with the 'Hik app' as opposed to the NVR itself.

paddymch

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @alastairstevenson

Try here instead :
That's handy! Two places with completely different info :-O - Do you know why HIK have two 'places' for the same NVR software?

That sounds more like problems with the 'Hik app' as opposed to the NVR itself.
Seemingly it's an issue with v3.4.107 of the firmware...

Be aware - upgrading to the 4.x firmware has been quite troublesome for some, due to corrupted configurations no longer allowing login.
Does this mean the NVR becomes unusable? Or if you've backed up the config - can you restore it?

Sorry - so many questions!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's handy! Two places with completely different info :-O - Do you know why HIK have two 'places' for the same NVR software?
They have many website with firmware downloads and no 2 are the same.

Seemingly it's an issue with v3.4.107 of the firmware...
So you've got a good selection of 3.4.x versions to test out.

Does this mean the NVR becomes unusable?
Yes, it does.
The V4.x firmware was a big re-write.
But many will have made the jump OK.

Or if you've backed up the config - can you restore it?
Not across a big version firmware update.

paddymch

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it does.
The V4.x firmware was a big re-write.
But many will have made the jump OK.
Excellent - wonder is it tied to specific manufacturing dates - prob more likely to be the software version transitioning from though
Not across a big version firmware update.
Of course - should have known!

Any other watch outs?
Backup first
Install versions one by one from USB? Or from remote machine?

sharaaznm

n3wb
Reaction score
DS-7608NI-K2 upgrade to v4 a mistake ! .........V4.30.005 build 200628
recently upgraded one of my sites to the new v4 firmware released in august 2020
Now my smart search function no longer works , the feature is still there but not able to be used

Attachments

EuroPassat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvison makes me sick. I have 15 DVR/NVR from hikvision, wanted to keep everything simple... I have a ds-7608ni-k2 at home firmware was old probably original. wanted to upgrade to newest one.. of course problems. with remote viewing via app not working, email the company after it start acting weird they they tell me according to serial# its not ment for USA market and they cant help me should contact support for the market it was sold in but dont and wont tell me what that is. NO WONDER USA BANNED THESE IDIOTS FROM SELLING THEIR CHINA GARBAGE IN USA!! P.O.S DVR cant even show motion makers in app or do 24/7 and motion at the same time. hey hikvision. F.U

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not that it helps you, but let's correct the inaccuracies for those that stumble across your post.

This is not reason why they were banned from the USA....and in fact the "ban" only applies to government agencies that need to comply with NDAA. The typical homeowner and small business owner can still purchase Hikvision in the USA...

If you spent the big bucks and purchased your gear from an authorized Hikvision USA installer, then Hikvision would help you...but you may have spent 3 to 5 times what you bought your stuff for.

Further, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a "Hikvision" from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision for support they basically tell them to go pound salt, just like what happened to you. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer.... Just because it is labeled Hikvision doesn't make it legit if you didn't purchase from an authorized USA dealer...

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the camera worse by removing functionality.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

I get you are angry. I would be angry too. But purchasing unauthorized or "gray market" gear isn't the fault of Hikvision... I buy gray market from Amazon because it is cheaper and I know I don't get any support. I am fine with that and if it doesn't fit my needs, I return it to Amazon within the return period, but if it is working for me, I don't update it.

EuroPassat

n3wb
Reaction score
the new firmware 4.30 SUCKS!!! Hikvision should be ashamed of themselves ..... viewing the cameras remotely on hik-connect app barely works now and the interface is pretty but so simple provides basically no usefull info.. even when using IVMS-4200 now when i click on my cameras while viewing remotely sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt . 4.30 is trash.... cant go back to v3 since its china nvr so if i mess it up hikvision will tell me to run along since they cant control their supply chain.

WHO CAN RECOMMEND A BRAND THAT ACTUALLY WORKS? Would be nice to have highlighted motion even in timeline when doing playback, which is the simplest thing you can ask for yet HIKVISON doesnt have it!!!!

I hope EUFY makes a nvr with cameras, would switch instantly. Hate that i invested all my setup into hikvision.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, you should get rid of the Hik equipment. I think you are a prime candidate for a Ring or Arlo cam system.
Your problems are most likely all user error.