DS-7608NI-I2 (V3.3.7 build 151102) not sending e-mails

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

is there a way to test the e-mail settings you enter in the Network>Advanced Settings>Email page? On the camera page there is a test button, but not on the NVR. I am asking because for some reason I just set up the email setting but I never receive an e-mails.

p.s. I am not using gmail, rather my own mail server which works just fine since another network camera (not hikvision) with the same smtp etc setting works just fine.

Thanks!

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My DS-7608NI-I2/8P firmware is v3.4.62 build 160503 and the Emails work. To test your NVR Email go to Configuration > Network> Email, then click on the Test button.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I was using V3.4.6 there was no button, but later versions do.
I normally set the notification up and then went and stood in front of a Camera.. Or if I was feeling really clever, one of the kids.

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any idea how to test it then? Something is wrong with the e-mails.. Any chance that the 3.3.7 firmware is buggy with the e-mails in the first place??

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at previous threads, there seemed to be an issue with older firmware's and having to use the IP address instead of the snmtp.gmail.com address, you could give this a go.

Also can you provide a screenshot with all the settings in place, just cover the user details (addresses & passwords).

Thanks,

Pual

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not using gmail as I said in the first message.. I use my own company's mail server. What screenshot? I have attached one in the first message just to show that there is no "TEST" button. All the fields are completed correctly..

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is no Test button...
The NVR GUI has the test button. The Web GUI does not. There is a difference between the GUI's.

I assume that you have a monitor and mouse connected directly to the NVR. This gives you access to the NVR GUI.

When I was using V3.4.6 there was no button, but later versions do.
I normally set the notification up and then went and stood in front of a Camera.. Or if I was feeling really clever, one of the kids.
I have V3.4.62 not V3.4.6. Each version of the NVR GUI had a test button.

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes Keyboard you are right, there is a test button from the NVR GUI but it says "Failed to send test email, please check the parameters or network status". So again something is wrong with the mails function. The NVR obviously has access to the internet since, so what else might be the problem?

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not using gmail as I said in the first message.. I use my own company's mail server. What screenshot? I have attached one in the first message just to show that there is no "TEST" button. All the fields are completed correctly..
Apologies, I missed you not using GMail.

There must be something different with the set up between the camera and the NVR.

What's the default gateway for them both?

Paul

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the camera it is 192.168.254.1 (the NIC of the POE ports) and on the NVR it is 192.168.0.1 (my home lan router)

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes Keyboard you are right, there is a test button from the NVR GUI but it says "Failed to send test email, please check the parameters or network status". So again something is wrong with the mails function. The NVR obviously has access to the internet since, so what else might be the problem?
The failed Email problem has been corrected with the newest versions of the NVR firmware. There were plenty of discussions on this forum about the problem when it was occuring.

Although the problems were primarily Gmail related, you may be experiencing the same issues. So, I suggest you update the NVR firmware to see if the problem goes away. If not, then maybe there is some typo in your parameters that is causing the error.

The latest firmware for your NVR is v3.4.90 build 160926 and is located here. This site also contains the earlier builds.

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking that there might be something with the firmware but I generally tend not to update something that is stable and working.. The problem now is that the emails are not working but I read that some people have random restarts and other problems with the latest firmware (which I don't with this one). So I would like to rule out any other option before moving to firmware update.. Is there another way to check if the NVR has problem connecting to the mail server etc? Is there a telnet or ssh or some console available to try..?

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MerNion, I don't know of any other way to test the mail server. As far as I know telnet and ssh have been disabled in recent firmware upgrades. I'm not sure if your version still has it.

Having said that, my v3.4.62 firmware has been very stable with no problems or random restarts. If you don't want to try v3.4.90, then try my firmware version.

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will try 3.4.62 first if nothing else works.. I am looking through the settings one more and will try another mail server just to check..

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also tried to test the mail function from the camera (not having to do anything with the NVR) but again it says "Testing failed" without any further info...