DS-7608NI-I2/8P & DS-2CD2352-I Updating Firmware

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
G'day All,

I haven't touched the firmware at all since purchase and the 7608NI-I2/8P is currently running V3.4.92 (170228) with the 4 x DS-2CD2352-I's running V5.4.3 (160902). I'd like to update the firmware of the NVR and cameras to get any new features, close any security problems and hopefully increase stability.

I've read that in some cases I should upgrade the firmware in sequence, rather than just jumping to the most recent release. Is this still the case?

I presume the firmware process would be to backup all settings, apply new firmware and then reload the backed up settings? Or is it a case of load the new firmware and enter in the settings from scratch again?

The 7608NI-I2/8P has a serial number of CCRR69###3499WCVU so is the 'unspecified/other' language, with the cameras being 0161###BBWR66###726 serial. I'm only after an English language for the firmware (I'm in Australia), is there a particular firmware I should use, or one that I should avoid at all costs?

And on a side note - with the Australian Government removing all the HikVision gear from government offices that they have installed, is there anything we (as a private customer) can do to avoid any possible tracking/backdoor hacks from another entity?

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR V4.x firmware was significantly re-written, with a very different user interface, especially via the VGA/HDMI interface.
It's had quite a lot of bugs and bugfixes, and especially with the 4.5.x web version, which I abandoned and reverted back to the 4.0.x version.
The NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.71.005_220524 version has been my choice for a while now.

I've read that in some cases I should upgrade the firmware in sequence, rather than just jumping to the most recent release. Is this still the case?
Yes - quite a few members have experienced corrupted configurations when doing the jump too far from V3.x to the V4.x firmware, to the extent that Hikvision issued an advisory, attached.

And on a side note - with the Australian Government removing all the HikVision gear from government offices that they have installed, is there anything we (as a private customer) can do to avoid any possible tracking/backdoor hacks from another entity?
As advised many, many times on this forum - don't expose your CCTV devices to the internet - ie no port forwarding, P2P, cloud access etc, and ideally keep them isolated on their own LAN segment and restrict or block their outbound access too.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
DS-2CD2352-I's running V5.4.3 (160902).
That very old firmware likely has the major 'Hikvision backdoor' vulnerability.
Verify it by using the URL below, with the PC IP address being set to be in the range of the NVR PoE ports, such as 192.168.254.200, and with the PC connected to an unused NVR PoE port.
If there is no prompt for username/password - the firmware has the classic backdoor.
The NVR and camera password can be easily extracted from the configuration file.

Replace the IP address with that of the target camera.
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair, I appreciate your reply.

I've done a bit of digging but come up empty so far - is there a list of firmwares for the DS-7608NI-I2/8P that I can go through and slowly load/progress through until the 4.71.005 firmware? I remember a few years ago there was a portal available, but I can't find it now.

And thanks for the advice on not exposing the system to the internet. I have a handful of IoT devices that I need to seperate on to their own (local only) IP range, so I'll put the HikVision setup on that network as well - that should do the trick.

Thanks again.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago there was a portal available,
I'm reasonably sure the CCRR NVR is going to be safe enough to update, I've messed with several with that region code and not had any problems.
On the assumption that yours will also be OK, the EU portal is usually the go-to place for a good spread of firmware :

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again Alastair,

I can now say I'm an expert at loading NVR firmwares... 24 firmware loads later and I'm up to date!

Significant changes that I've noticed (apart from the visual layout update) is that streaming to HIK-Connect seems much much faster/smoother.
I seem to be having some lag/slow loading of the video stream of some channels when I'm setting up the smart events (the small preview vid screen in the event setup). Sometimes the video image takes a good 20-30 seconds to load before I can start adjusting the line crossing etc. But I'm not sure if this is due to network problems (cables/connectors) or if it's related to the firmware. I do seem to remember that it was happening on the old firmware.

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good end result.
You've been really cautious with the upgrade steps!

What firmware version did you end up with?
How do you find the VGA/HDMI interface compared with previous (assuming you've used it)?

Sometimes the video image takes a good 20-30 seconds to load before I can start adjusting the line crossing etc.
That's not typical.
But the cameras do have very old firmware - perhaps it's a compatibility thing.
Fortunately that's not a frequent activity.

Jay95

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended with firmware version NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.61.025_220905 which was the latest firmware listed in the EU portal.

I'm not sure if there's a more up to date version available somewhere else, but this version (along with updating the camera's firmware) is working quite well.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended with firmware version NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.61.025_220905 which was the latest firmware listed in the EU portal.
Yes - although K51 has been listed for both I-series and K-series NVRs, the later K51 firmware NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.72.107_220914 only lists K-series in the release notes.