DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 - ZOOM ISSUE EXPANDED TO NTSC/PAL AND FIRMWARE - RESOLVED!

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All. I have several unbranded DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3's (wireless equipped but disabled).

I've had no problem upgrading the firmware from the EU site.

V5.6.18 build 210428 seems to be the latest version and it works fine on all my cams EXCEPT one!
The 4x optical zoom normally goes from "Z001" (1X) indicated on the display to "Z004" (4x).
After that, each continues to digital zoom to "Z064" at the maximum.

The cam with the issue is brand new, all purchased together and the same versions of firmware, encoding, web, etc., but it will not go beyond "Z004", meaning it will not go beyond 4x optical. No matter what gui I use, it won't kick into digital zoom.

Has anyone else experienced this and can someone suggest a fix? It's in a location where that extra magnification can really make a difference.

Thanks!

Kalli1101

n3wb
Reaction score
You can configure that using the "in picture" settings. Look at the live view menu, there should be a button (somewhere next to the whiper and light buttons) activating the ocd menu. Then navigate using the ptz arrows. Here you should be able to activate digital zoom.

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can configure that using the "in picture" settings. Look at the live view menu, there should be a button (somewhere next to the whiper and light buttons) activating the ocd menu. Then navigate using the ptz arrows. Here you should be able to activate digital zoom.
I should have mentioned that I enabled digital zoom, but it would not go beyond Z004. See attached pic. Digital zoom is enabled, but no joy.Screenshot 2023-02-22 183315.jpg

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So in the diagnostic listing, I found that the cam shows PAL as the video type instead of NTSC. Additionally, does anyone know of a way to go back to a lower-level firmware? It refuses to reflash with an earlier version. Any ideas appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they are new, send the problem one back.

Many manufacturers have been hard-coding cameras to not allow a reflash to an earlier version, so that might be what you are experiencing.

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If they are new, send the problem one back.

Many manufacturers have been hard-coding cameras to not allow a reflash to an earlier version, so that might be what you are experiencing.
It was new, but my old stock. A backup replacement. All I can think of is to swap it with another cam where the zoom distance isn't as critical, unless someone has an idea how to hack into it and fix it.

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, for anyone still watching this, I found something out. The digital zoom on the camera in question is actually enabled by selecting the "start digital zoom" in the live view, but it is NOT triggered by the PTZ zoom reaching Z004 and then switching to digital zoom. It requires selecting the area you want to zoom to with the mouse and clicking to draw a rectangular area, which is then fully enlarged. Frankly, I can't understand why two cameras with identical model numbers and identical firmware have 2 different types of digital zoom. Has anyone seen this or experienced it with their Darkfighters of this variety?

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
New information. I found the configuration tool that uses the advanced sdk to get at all the settings on these. I was able to fix the NTSC/PAL issue and some other things. I was however, NOT able to change the zoom limits. They are listed and viewable, but not changeable using this tool. I've used the tool to enable telnet and ssh and I will dig deeper when I have some free cycles.

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In typical Hikvision form, I spent a lot of time trying to fix something that was actually in the GUI.
I had the camera set for "Outside". Why? Because it was outside.
After all I did, I started going through the GUI pages over and over and by chance, I selected "Inside" for my outside camera.
Lo and behold, some additional configuration entries pop up. Under "Other", the old, familiar PTZ limit appears along with some other optional settings.
I changed the limit to 64 and all fixed. I also found the NTSC/PAL selector and set that.
I can't blame myself for having taken so long to resolve this. Hikvision just doesn't do well in the user interface department and the word "intuitive" apparently isn't in their vocabulary. This reminds me of the discussion (well, it was close to an argument) that I had with Hikvision support who felt that it was not necessary to have a screenshot function in their NVRs because we could review video using their IVMS application from a PC. They could not comprehend the need to be able to take and drop a snapshot onto the usb thumbdrive in the NVR so it could be provided to others (i.e. Police, etc.). Well, hopefully my time spent will save someone else some time and frustration.