DS-2CD5526G0-IZ(H)S

tantrim

n3wb
Reaction score
How good is the DS-2CD5526G0-IZ(H)S camera? I noticed it was a 2MP camera with a 1/1.8" lens which is pretty large for this resolution.

Has anyone used it before?

The other cameras I'm looking at are the 5442 line (I know there are many models) from Dahua as those seem popular here or some axis p1375-e I found for a decent price. How does the DS-2CD5526G0-IZ(H)S compare to the ones I just mentioned from other brands?

I know this is a really broad question but I'm just looking for input from people that already have knowledge they don't mind sharing.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had a 5526 for several years and am generally pleased with it ... but one can always hope for more low-light capability ... although 2MP in a 1/1.8" sensor (the lens is F/1.2-2.5) should do really well since it will have large pixels. I like the vari-focal since you can frame the image fairly tight and just output the native 1920x1080 resolution. I'm kinda surprised none of the vendors have tried something like 2MP in a 1/1.2" sensor with an F/1.0 lens ... that would be a real light sucker! ;-)

Unfortunately, I've not been able to do any side-by-side comparison to other modern cameras (and sensor technology has advanced since then) ... so I'd love to hear what others say.

tantrim

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had a 5526 for several years and am generally pleased with it ... but one can always hope for more low-light capability ... although 2MP in a 1/1.8" sensor (the lens is F/1.2-2.5) should do really well since it will have large pixels. I like the vari-focal since you can frame the image fairly tight and just output the native 1920x1080 resolution. I'm kinda surprised none of the vendors have tried something like 2MP in a 1/1.2" sensor with an F/1.0 lens ... that would be a real light sucker! ;-)

Unfortunately, I've not been able to do any side-by-side comparison to other modern cameras (and sensor technology has advanced since then) ... so I'd love to hear what others say.
Yeah they are a little older tech at this point. Do you have any images you could share of them if it's not much hassle.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's a shootout I did back in 2018 which is when the 5526 first came out ... and that camera has been used since to Watch Grass Grow! ;-)

Note that I'm (currently) using 1/6s shutter speed at night ... so that's why the image looks semi-decent (common "trick" by the vendors to show how they can "see in the dark") ... but obviously this is a complete FAIL if you are trying to capture motion.

As mentioned, sensor technology has improved in 5 years ... unknown (given similar lens/MP specs) how much truly better it is.