DS-2CD2442FWD-IW WiFi Performance

Reaction score
This thread is created to discuss the wireless performance (or lack thereof!) in the Hikvision Cube Camera. These cameras use an embedded antenna from AirGain mounted on the printed circuit board inside the camera's shell. In my case, the performance is poorer than an older Foscam C1 720P camera, which uses an adhesive foil strip antenna within its plastic case. In the Hikvision Cube Camera, the antenna is mounted along the right-hand side near the camera sensor and lens assembly, behind the three LED indicators.

The end result is this camera logs multiple "No Signal" errors in Blue Iris when the wireless signal quality/strength is below 80%.

AirGain Embedded WiFi Antenna.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Searching for ideas last night, I came upon another Hikvision camera thread here. The user dropped the maximum bitrate to 4096 and his No Signal errors stopped. I did this with my cameras last night (their bitrates were at 6144) and the problem has gotten much, much better. Instead of 4 to 6 No Signal conditions per hour, it was 4 to 6 conditions overnight. Looks like the camera's wifi module may have a problem handling higher bit rate streams.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am pretty sure your Foscam C1 camera was using a bitrate way lower than 6144kbps, so if you want to fairly compare the quality on the wifi antennas on C1 and 2CD2442 you should turn the bitrate on the 2CD2422 to probably about 1mbps (I do not know what is the default bitrate on a C1).

You might just want (need) to upgrade your router/access point/whatever is creating your wifi to something more powerful.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure your Foscam C1 camera was using a bitrate way lower than 6144kbps, so if you want to fairly compare the quality on the wifi antennas on C1 and 2CD2442 you should turn the bitrate on the 2CD2422 to probably about 1mbps (I do not know what is the default bitrate on a C1).

You might just want (need) to upgrade your router/access point/whatever is creating your wifi to something more powerful.
Thanks. It's an Asus RT-AC68/U and provides exceptional coverage with all my other devices.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. It's an Asus RT-AC68/U and provides exceptional coverage with all my other devices.
Good! Then just try to lower your bitrates until you find the balance on image quality and little packet loss on the camera. You can also change it from constant bitrate to variable bitrate.
You can probably "ping" the camera forever and see if it looses packets, when the ping goes higher while you increase bitrate/goes lower when you lower bitrate, etc.

Reaction score
Good! Then just try to lower your bitrates until you find the balance on image quality and little packet loss on the camera. You can also change it from constant bitrate to variable bitrate.
You can probably "ping" the camera forever and see if it looses packets, when the ping goes higher while you increase bitrate/goes lower when you lower bitrate, etc.
The current 4K settings appears to be a quite acceptable point. I'll keep monitoring it and adjust down to 3K if required. A few No Signal exceptions each day are no problem. A few per hour is simply unacceptable.

Reaction score
I adjusted it down to 3K and there were only 4 or 5 No Signal exceptions overnight. Looks like that's where it will stay.

A day later, and I've dropped the resolution to 1080P. Seems to have helped, significantly.

Last edited: