DS-2CD2432F-IW color

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am getting what I would call "normal" color on this Hik DS-2CD2432F-IW cam during the day. Attached is what I am getting after dark with mostly halogen interior lighting. Any ideas how I can improve the color under these conditions?

Attachments

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Crazy!! I am not going to modify, I will return and replace with something that I don't have to modify. Can you suggest a cam in this price range that would handle this application.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera is an exceptional camera except for this flaw...There is nothing I am aware of that comes close with wifi, POE, a PIR sensor, two way audio, SD card 3mp and a 2.8mm lens available (although it seems you have the 4mm) all for about 115 on aliexpress.....The modification is really easy... what functions do you need in a camera? Where did you buy your camera from? What price range are you considering (the price on this cam varies depending on where you purchased it from)
Also have you messed with the sensitivity settings? You seem to have enough light to trigger day mode if you mess with the sensitivity settings.

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do like the cam. It may be tolerable if I use the scheduling to schedule night mode when I want it. It does have a good (colored) picture when I set it to day mode. I will also try the sensitivity settings. I don't think this cam has wifi. I checked it on aliexpress and in the end decided to get it quick for $155 on amazon. My hope is that with a future firmware update, the indicator lights on the front could be disabled. I was thinking that there might be a camera in this price range, 150-175, the would have audio, poe, 3 MP, IR but I may be wrong. What's the difference between the 2.8 and 4mm lens?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera does have wifi (the antenna is internal and you wont be able to run in 3mp mode unless you have a VERY strong signal)...There are outdoor cameras that are 3mp that you can mount indoors, but i have not seen other indoor type cams that are 3mp...and certainly no 3mp with PIR sensor which is a HUGE benefit when it comes to motion detection...
The 2.8mm will show a wider image, at the expense of image quality (because the mp have to be spread over a wider area..and some complain about a distorted fishbowl image, but to me its barely noticeable and for indoors or where the subject is coming within 10 feet of the camera 2.8 is better because you get more coverage...Note that if you run your camera in 2mp mode you will see more horizontal coverage....
Here is a good comparison (second post by @madrian), its a different camera, but hikvision so the lens should be the same. (not those images are in 2mp mode)
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?91-Lens-Comparisons-4mm-6mm-12mm&highlight=comparison

Last edited by a moderator:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman - thanks for taking note. Don, unlike the traditional Foscam-clones which gradually fade to black and white under low/no light, these Hikvision cameras actually switch to B&W when the IR cut and IR LED activate. That means, when you see the LED on, your image will be B&W. I've now modified all 7 of my 2432's - it takes less than 2 min. I don't know where you bought yours - I got mine from a seller on AliExpress for $90 w/free shipping (lot of 3). I fully expect that if I have a defect, I'm on my own anyway. Obviously we'd prefer to have full factory/dealer support, and a product that doesn't need to be modified, but as fenderman pointed out, the price-point and feature set for this camera really does make the modification a no-brainer (vs. scheduling around lighting conditions).

I can assure you, I have full color in a very dimly lit room now. It's worth the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As you can tell, I am just starting to get to know these cameras and I appreciate the help. I gather, that generally, 2.8 is used indoor (wider fov in close) and 4mm is generally better for out doors. Are my assumptions generally correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really, it depends on what you are trying to capture...however, indoors if you want to get an entire room generally you would go with a 2.8....2.8 are often used outdoors as well...but it depends on your target area.

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, its more about the FOV that you are trying to capture. Lets say I wanted to capture a narrow stair way out doors, 4mm or even larger might be considered. If I had a weather cam trying to capture a wide view out doors, I might consider 2.8. Some minor distortion on the outer edges of the picture might be noticed with the 2.8. Does that sum it up reasonably accurately?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes. Look at the lens mm rating as a zoom strength. The higher the number, the more zoomed in the image will be. Below 3.6mm, and you get a fish eye effect. It has distortion, but being able to get a 150 degree view may be worth it. The trade off for wider view is everything appears further away, and distant objects will be less clear - think of the passenger side mirror on cars (objects may be closer than they appear).

All of my cameras are 2.8mm - indoors and out. But I have little use to read tags on cars that aren't on my (very small) property.

My spare bedrooms are 10' x 10', and truthfully, 2.8mm isn't low enough. I may switch to a 1.8mm. Yes, more distortion, but with such short distances from the camera, that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@erkme73 if you find a 1.8mm lens that works, please post that info...id be interested in that mod..