DS-2CD2386G2-IU - Records Audio from 5m distance?

Snaffs

n3wb
Reaction score
Following a few recent events, and one involving a drunk neighbor on my front lawn with another neighbor trying to get him back home!
It's become blatantly apparent to me now just how important it is to have audio recordings alongside video.

I have a Google Nest Hello Doorbell camera which records 24/7 to the cloud, and also a £30 cheap Chinese IP Cam recording 24/7 to it's built in SC Card.
Both of which record audio also.

Now, following last nights "Drunken Episode" Albeit a little quiet I have been able to capture the audio from this event and we're talking about 20m+ distance.
Not amazingly clear clarify, but with volume turned up, enough to make out voices at night-time (speaking loudly)

Now............

Reading about the new Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU on Use-IP's own website, it states:

"With the added built-in microphone, users have the extra benefit of increasing surveillance efficiency with the ability to record sounds up to 5 meters away (depending on the environment). "

UP TO 5m (Wow!)
Note, that is a sarcastic Wow ;)

It's a lot to spend to just test and find out the mic recording ability it rubbish.
Vastly worse than a £30 no-brand camera.

So, dare I presume this is incorrect and they mean something like: Perfectly clear audio recording up to 5m away, and it starts to drop off a little after that, and will get quieter the further away you go?
Or, as HikVision are not known for mic's in cameras, should I presume, actually they just threw a cheap poor mic in there that's got a terrible range?

I'd love to think it's a great mic, but the "Up to 5m away" which is nuts, I mean, that's less distance than some peoples lounge/diners, let alone on a wall facing out into the garden.

Would love to "hear" any actual information on this?

Or, perhaps some other equally high quality camera's I could consider 4K etc, like the HikVision, but with good audio recording also.

Many thanks :)