DS-2CD2342WD-I Upgrade path

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Thanks Alastair for the link in the other post just didnt want to hijack that thread

I have a 2CD2342WD-I currently running V5.3.3 build 150826

Looking at the Hik EU site there have been other fw upgrades before 5.4.0

Should i install the previous fw upgrades or is it safe to add 5.4.0 on to 5.3.3 ??

Thanks guys

update
and then i see Hiks own notice... DO NOT SKIP INTERMEDIATE UPDATES !

and i also see... NOT DOWNGRADEABLE

makes me a tad nervous

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you upgrade to 5.4 it has been said that Hik killed the downgrade capability in the 5.4 release. In addition, the general consensus is that 5.4 doesn't bring much to the table. My advice is to stay where you are unless you need a specific 5.4 fix or feature.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well this cam is 3 fw versions old Q, i will take it to 5.3.8 to see if there are any improvements in night vision or overall useability and wait for more feedback on 5.4.0, thank you Sir :)
I'm running 5.2.x on most of my Hiks @hiky...and they seem to function without issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
I actually didnt have any real issues with 533 Q, however i am always interested in bettering the image at night, for my circumstance on this cam there was nothing more that could have been done apart from adding more light which was not an option, so it is worth the effort of a few upgrade tests to see if improvements could be found

going from 533 to 536 proved to be an image downgrade which has not improved with 538, it seems more grain is evident at night, at the moment i will hold off 540