DS-2CD2155FWD-I: Can't Save 30 fps setting

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with an issue that I'm now experiencing. I have been using Hikvision's poe IP cameras (DS-2CD2142) for about a year and am happy thus far. Last month, I purchased another Hikvision camera and I can't seem to get this configured the way that I want.

The model is "DS-2CD2155FWD-I." This is one of the newer models with 5MP and high resolutions support. The issue is that I can't set the video setting to 30 fps. Every time I click save, I will get a message that says "device error" and it will revert back to 20 fps - see the image attached. I'm trying to do 2560x1440 or 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps. See the data sheet pdf attached. This camera supports 30 fps for the resolutions in question. I don't see the reason why I can't even do 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps since my older DS-2CD2142 could do so without any issues. I'm now using firmware v5.5.0 on this new camera. Is this firmware the issue?

Also, I'm not sure why "Video Quality - Medium" is grayed out. As soon as I change biterate type to "Variable", I could change "Video Quality" to highest.

Attachments

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Open camera web GUI and click on capture rate should be on the bottom
Under the camera settings

Reaction score
I looked through the web GUI but couldn't find "capture rate". Please advise. I'm hoping it's not the firmware that's capping the fps. Very disappointed that I couldn't do 30 fps for how much I paid. At a minimum, I really want to do 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps on this new camera because all my older 2CD2142FWD's have no issues with it.

I know 30 fps could be an overkill. Many say 20 fps (or less) with variable bitrate should be good enough.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, drunkpenguin. I'm pretty sure my browser is okay because I could change and save the other settings in the camera, other than the fps. Also, I use synology NAS for the recording. Even Synology's Surveillance Station application couldn't set this camera at 30 fps, the camera will show "disconnected" in Surveillance Station. Overall, Hikvision's web gui = failed saving 30 fps; Synology's Surveillance Station = also failed saving 30 fps.

I just called Hikvision support and they're not helpful at all. They said they're not aware of this issue. They told me that it's probably a hardware issue and asked me to return it to the store where I purchased it. (This is a brand new camera that I purchased it two weeks ago.) They also suggest that I try restoring to factory settings. This kind of support response sounds like "did you try rebooting the computer? lol....

Reaction score
Okay, I was able to narrow down this issue. I restored my 2CD2155FWD-I to factory settings and was able to configure it to record at 30 fps; HOWEVER, I was not able to rotate the image; as soon as I tried to rotate the image with 30 fps, I get the "device error" message. I then changed the fps to 20 and was able to rotate the image. This is very weird. In summary, it's either 30 fps with no image rotation or 20 fps with image rotation on, so I'm not able to do 30 fps with image rotation on. Take a look at the file attached. I just want to rotate the video/image so that it looks upright. I had tried 1080p and experienced the same problem.

I spoke with Hikvision tech support for about an hour. Tech support remoted into my computer and was able to reproduce the issue but couldn't figure it out why. Tech support indicated that the issue is probably due to this model not supporting 30 fps with image rotation on (I LOL very hard). It's surprising that DS-2CD2155FWD-I, one of the newest HIKVision models in the product line-up, is not capable of doing 30 fps with image rotation on. I also have an older model, that's DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, and this older model is capable of achieving 30 fps with image rotation on, so I found it hard to believe that a newer model with better hardware like DS-2CD2155 is inferior to older models in terms of functionality. Anyway, I was told to escalate the issue via email and I did. Let see what they will come back with.

Attachments

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is very weird. In summary, it's either 30 fps with no image rotation or 20 fps with image rotation on, so I'm not able to do 30 fps with image rotation on.
It does actually make some sense. The processor on the camera needs to use some of the resources for the image rotation, so they cap the framerate at 20. Yes, I am sure it does have more than enough resources for doing 30fps, since there are many other options on the camera you are not using, but when dessigning the product they have to make it so the camera would work even if you had everything that uses resources turned on.

Also, I'm not sure why "Video Quality - Medium" is grayed out. As soon as I change biterate type to "Variable", I could change "Video Quality" to highest.
If you are defining the bitrate as constant, then the video quality settings is not used, since you will be the one defining what bitrate you want the camera to use all the time.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Never seen this problem before
Hikvision jumping the gun again

Reaction score
As expected, I escalated the issue and not hearing back. This is a joke. There is really no point that I spent more to make sure I'm getting the North American version. I could have just gotten the cheaper, China version. if it doesn't work as expected, at least my loss will be minimal.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As expected, I escalated the issue and not hearing back. This is a joke. There is really no point that I spent more to make sure I'm getting the North American version. I could have just gotten the cheaper, China version. if it doesn't work as expected, at least my loss will be minimal.
no the china version would not be firmware upgradeable and some models made out of plastic....you could have gotten an international version..you can relax a bit, you dont need 30fps, its a waste...or mount the camera properly and you wont need to rotate the image...

Reaction score
yeah, I'm now doing 20 fps, so I could rotate the image/video upright. Did a comparison of 30 fps and 20 fps, and I don't see much difference. As for the mounting, I know but there are some wiring constraints that I have to mount the camera this way. Oh well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah, I'm now doing 20 fps, so I could rotate the image/video upright. Did a comparison of 30 fps and 20 fps, and I don't see much difference. As for the mounting, I know but there are some wiring constraints that I have to mount the camera this way. Oh well.
that makes no sense..there is not wiring scenario that will force you to do that.

Reaction score
Because I could have mounted the camera right above the area that I wanted to record, so that the lens will be just pointing downward. My wiring is not through a conduit, where I could just extend the conduit to anywhere. The cat6 is coming out directly from a drilled hole of a brick.

But, there are a lot of mounting base that I could choose from, such as AB110, WM110, etc. I'm now using CB110, that's the conduit base.