Drunks checking out my rig

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Got my HFW4431M-AS-I2 w/12mm mounted to an old table leg under the point on the soffit where I want to mount it, just hooked it up today and left it on defaults to see how it did before I permanently fixed it.

I see them walk up on my monitor and start checking out my trailer, feeling a bit suspicious I walk out side and hear them speaking drunken Chinese so I wave and say hello @ ~20s in and the one guy just looks at me and tries to drag his drunk friend off.

I remain in the front yard and they come back again a few mins later and repeat the exchange, this time showing most interest in the refrigerator on the front, then get into the vehicle and drive off, I dont think either of them noticed me the 2nd time around still standing in the same spot as the time before.. attached is a photo earlier today showing the trailer which is out of frame.. just got back from an extended camping trip and its fully loaded where I left it at 3am monday morning when I rolled back into town.. Having had gear stolen off the trailer before while parked out front I am very diligent in protecting it and securing everything with high security locks.

I think they live down the street, probably was bragging about my trailer to his buddy earlier and well.. at least no drunken monkey kung-fu was on display and plates were easily read by the LPR cam..

When you start seeing suspicious weirdo's before you even got the camera permanently installed, its a pretty clear sign you shoulda had a camera already there long ago heh.. for a 4MP Camera I am quite pleased with the results it achieved on its first night.. these guys are about 40ft away from the camera and I got a pretty good ID quality shot on both targets.. zoom ladies, use it and love it.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really like my HFW4431M-AS-I2. 8mm and 12mm. Just the 12mm installed now but looking for places to put them. I think mine is a little too high up and I need to change that. How are you keeping this camera discrete with near head high placement?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Dynamic range is nice on that one. The car's lights aren't blown out and you can even see some detail on the plates of cars up the street.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I really like my HFW4431M-AS-I2. 8mm and 12mm. Just the 12mm installed now but looking for places to put them. I think mine is a little too high up and I need to change that. How are you keeping this camera discrete with near head high placement?
I didnt end up installing this anywhere near head height, the video here was on a test rig that put it lower than I was planning.. its tacked onto the side of the house and peeking around the corner.. I am not done installing this yet, as I still have to crawl through the attic to pull the wire inside and paint the junction box white before I'll be happy.

With zoom you can get away with putting em a bit higher up as the angle of attack is not so hard.. depends, dont help that my house is 4ft higher than the sidewalk.. I dont really care to capture activity in my neighbors yards with this camera so up high is good to avoid that... there is only room enough to park one car here with the fire hydrant and the end of my driveway.. this FOV has the car covered well as long as its legally parked.

I really like the looks of this camera with the hidden LED's and two tone scheme.. all my front cameras are two toned black/white and so is my house, so it blends in naturally.. I am adding a red strobe to this camera's alarm output and putting it under the camera on the corner.. next time I see some shady drunks out I can just run em off from inside.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: