drive & archive folders setup...new external drive

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi...I have an SSD, 1 internal drive, and just got a 12tb external drive

Previously had BI, NEW, and database on the C: Windows drive, and STORED on D: internal.
-Wondering best way to incorporate the 12tb drive....should I put only the database on the SSD, and NEW onto the internal drive, and then STORED on the External?
-OR pull the external out of the enclosure and use that IN the PC and designate ONLY NEW and skip STORED?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd put it in the machine. Allocate space as you see fit, but don't bother with "Stored". All that does is add CPU overhead moving files around pointlessly. Use "New" and set the limit by space, not by time. When you install the drive format it with 1024kb blocks instead of the standard 4kb given the size of video files. I rarely use "Stored" and then it's more or less temporary when exporting something I need for evidence purposes.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for the tips! got that thing shucked! :)....you can never have enough storage for this stuff.....I need some way to put clips i REALLY wanna save aside in a cloud or something....those little "summaries" will likely be all that's needed for any court case or something

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd put it in the machine. Allocate space as you see fit, but don't bother with "Stored". All that does is add CPU overhead moving files around pointlessly. Use "New" and set the limit by space, not by time. When you install the drive format it with 1024kb blocks instead of the standard 4kb given the size of video files. I rarely use "Stored" and then it's more or less temporary when exporting something I need for evidence purposes.
is there any benefit from having half the cams writing to one internal drive and the other cams writing to another internal drive vs all cams writing to one internal drive?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. the processor write speed is faster than the HDD's write ability. So it's bored and lonely. If you want to get more out of it you can push the data across 2 drives. You can utilize CPU cycles more efficiently if you write to multiple drives. And if a drive fails you still have 1/2 your data from your cameras. the guys recommend to format the drive with allocation sector sizes of 1024K to increase performance as well. I was reading some guys website who does video editing and he was liking 64K allocation units. SO i'm trying that at the moment.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. the processor write speed is faster than the HDD's write ability. So it's bored and lonely. If you want to get more out of it you can push the data across 2 drives. You can utilize CPU cycles more efficiently if you write to multiple drives. And if a drive fails you still have 1/2 your data from your cameras. the guys recommend to format the drive with allocation sector sizes of 1024K to increase performance as well. I was reading some guys website who does video editing and he was liking 64K allocation units. SO i'm trying that at the moment.
got it! and whats the trick for assigning particular cams to write to a particular drive? in the global Clips and Archiving do you assign some cams to Aux 1 and some to Aux 2 or something?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
got it! and whats the trick for assigning particular cams to write to a particular drive? in the global Clips and Archiving do you assign some cams to Aux 1 and some to Aux 2 or something?
That would be correct - and you can rename the Aux ones - just do not rename the Alerts, New and Stored folders - and then try to balance any cameras you have around the house one to each drive - so if you have 2 on the front, put one to each drive so if one drive goes out, you still have some coverage.