Douchebag neighbor messing with my PTZ?

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We live in a townhouse next door to asshole neighbors, which is the reason we installed security cameras. One of the cameras, a PTZ is mounted to the right of our front door. When we went to bed last night, this is how it was set:
door1.jpg

When we woke up, here's what we saw:
door2.jpg

The camera was now focused on our porch and railing. I don't want to sound paranoid, but I am assuming that our neighbors knocked the camera out of position with a broomstick or some other pole. I checked the video, and there was a trigger at 10:18 p.m., but after several seconds, the video generates and error and freezes. Would someone jarring the camera disrupt the recording to my NAS drive causing an error? Also, could anything else cause a PTZ to re-position?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We live in a townhouse next door to asshole neighbors, which is the reason we installed security cameras. One of the cameras, a PTZ is mounted to the right of our front door. When we went to bed last night, this is how it was set:
View attachment 29611

When we woke up, here's what we saw:
View attachment 29612

The camera was now focused on our porch and railing. I don't want to sound paranoid, but I am assuming that our neighbors knocked the camera out of position with a broomstick or some other pole. I checked the video, and there was a trigger at 10:18 p.m., but after several seconds, the video generates and error and freezes. Would someone jarring the camera disrupt the recording to my NAS drive causing an error? Also, could anything else cause a PTZ to re-position?
Doubt it, what preset do you have the powerup set to?
Maybe it crashed and rebooted.

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't yet configured any presets. But I hadn't thought of that -- thanks. Do you suggest I reboot and see where it focuses?

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re-booted and it returned to the last position I had it set. Any other ideas what might cause it to re-position?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, is your camera connected to the internet?

Hint: Use the Shodan Luke

PS - fixed cameras can be useful in this case.

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, is your camera connected to the internet?

Hint: Use the Shodan Luke

PS - fixed cameras can be useful in this case.
Yes, it's web-connected, and we needed a PTZ because we have several areas we're trying to monitor.

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

Most certainly you've allowed someone on the internet access to the controls.... time to lock down your network and check the VPN notes here.

I know this sounds naïve, but once someone uses Shodan to locate my camera, how do they then log in?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know this sounds naïve, but once someone uses Shodan to locate my camera, how do they then log in?
Hi Jason,

Computers are full of security holes, and an IP Cam is just a computer with a camera.

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm open to all the possibilities, but when I re-booted it, the camera returned to the last position I had it set.