Doubling Up CAT Cables

UncleSteve

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been pulling in CAT cables all morning and a thought crossed my mind.Could I run two IP cameras (POE) off the same cable as the cameras would have unique IP address's?

I'll go and get me coat before the flack starts LOL

Thanks in advance :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi.

Yes. There exist products like this which passively split one ethernet cable (8 wires) into two cables (4 wires each), and typically all an IP cam actually needs is 4 wires. However I should note my connection was a bit flaky when using these devices.

A better but more expensive option is PoE powered switch or PoE passthrough switch. That way you can run as many as 4 cameras off one cable. Technically you could daisy chain switches like this to run more if you had enough power on the uplink cable.

However in most cases when people talk about "doubling up cat cables", they are talking about running spare cables while their walls are open, in case the first cable gets damaged they have a backup already there. Kind of the opposite of what you're talking about!! :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have used the simple 2 pc split/combine units and they are fair but sometimes can be flaky like @bp2008 mentioned. If I had it all to do again I would double pull my runs even if I thought those runs will never be needed.

UncleSteve

n3wb
Reaction score
So it can be done if desperate, though flaky. I'm still pulling cables, so I'll continue with plan 'A' with individual cables to each camera.

Thanks to everyone and your comments :)

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
As others have said, pulling more cables than you think you'll need is the ideal situation. Failing that, I've been using a couple of these for a couple years. They're in large junction boxes and these same boxes are often exposed to the hot Cuban summer in excess of 12 hours. The boxes get a bit of shade but it still must get hot inside.

They haven't failed me yet and I would recommend them.

I'll be pulling all new cables soon. After three years in the sun and rain, my flexible hose is failing me. Going to put use proper PVC tubing. I can't put them in the walls without a LOT of work as the construction of the property is all masonry.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 2.41.59 PM.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been pulling in CAT cables all morning and a thought crossed my mind.Could I run two IP cameras (POE) off the same cable as the cameras would have unique IP address's?

I'll go and get me coat before the flack starts LOL

Thanks in advance :)
Hi

If you are pulling cables best to run 1 extra cable to each location now when it is easier .. cables are affordable compared to your labor typically

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The splitters recommended by some other here,,,,2 types...have eventually stopped working on my system.....probably moisture related.....on 1. but the other 1 failed at the switch inside the garage....
So I've stopped doing it for the time being.

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you buy multiple spools of cable, it's easier to pull more than one line to the same location at the same time.
...so they can all rapidly unspool in unison in a massive cable-twine-ball that a mountain a mountain lion size cat would love; whilst you are sweating to death in the attic trying to figure out what the heck is the cable bundle hung up on NOW... been there once or thrice. ;)
And I've found whether running Cat5E, RG6Q, or any other LV cabling, the best rule of thumb is figure on the max amount of drops you'll need to home run, then double it. That way, in 2 years, you'll only be short about half of what you actually need... Too much is almost never enough.
Most future-proof method: Run conduit between each floor from attic to basement/crawl space (if used), and back to the anticipated "home-run" (tech closet) area. But, cable is cheaper and faster than conduit... & conduit's not quick, cheap, or easy - so a rarity in residential building. Even a single conduit run from lowest floor to attic can save an immense amount of time and $ later on.

Working on a new house for a client back some years ago. He wasn't a techie type, but I knew from how many TVs he had, there would be a good bit of coax runs. Asked him how many TV cable outlets were desired, and where would he like them located. He insisted only 2 or 3 cable connections - in a decent size 2 story custom home. I asked again, are you sure you only want a TV connection in these 3 locations? Yep, absolutely sure. House was framed but drywall not up yet, so it's easy to add NOW - NOT later. Client went back to FL for the winter while we finished his house. Strongly suspected client would want a TV connection in every room, with more than one in some rooms. So, I went ahead, pulled RG6Q in every room, and some rooms multipe drops. Ran conduit from basement to attic, just in case.
Finished the house, client moves in in early spring. Everything was fine until about a month later, I get a phone call... "You know, we've been thinking maybe you were right.. we would like to have a TV in the kitchen, and also in my office". I said yes, and recall how I explained how hard it is to run new cabling in an existing structure vs new under construction? He said yes, I know.. but we really want it done if possible. Know it'll be tough, but can you do it?
I said well, I'll see what I can do.... ;)
Client goes out for the day, shopping. I pull out my notes and construction photos, showing where I'd pulled all the extra cables into walls. Cut out openings in drywall, popped in some rework boxes, pulled the cable and installed connectors and plates. Had it all done, and was connecting the home run lines up to the MATV distribution amp in the basement when clients returned home. They asked how's it going. I said almost done.. finished the last connection, went upstairs & fired up the new TVs, and presto - TVs in all the rooms they wanted. (this was way before 5GHz wireless video distribution). Clients were astounded. They wanted to know how I cut, patched, and repainted drywall in just a few hours - and they couldn't even see where I cut the drywall... Told them, oh, it's an old trade secret... can't say... :cool:
Actually it's not a secret.. it's called know your customer and plan accordingly - IF possible. But my experience has been no matter how well I plan, sometimes it still isn't enough. Murphy always wins. :rolleyes:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so they can all rapidly unspool in unison in a massive cable-twine-ball that a mountain a mountain lion size cat would love; whilst you are sweating to death in the attic trying to figure out what the heck is the cable bundle hung up on NOW... been there once or thrice.
On that scale, it's probably worth it to buy those bundled cables that combine RG6 and Cat5e/6 inside an outer jacket. You could also pre bundle and respool the cable with some electrical tape every few feet, you can even do that from the comfort of your favorite recliner. A helper is worth their weight in gold when pulling cable.

In existing houses, it's harder to find justification to go overboard they way you might on new construction. Put more the effort into planning and cable organization than running it everywhere.

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LoL, just kidding, maybe too sarcastic... But too often seemed to end up with a rat's nest of wire(s) tangled around everything in sight, when I'm up in a sweltering attic or crawling around in a nasty crawl space alone... Ubiquiti does have a great little trick for their "Tough cable" cable spools - adjustable spool back tension. Keeps the cable from free spooling into a furball mess. Wish they all did that. I hate those small shrink wrap rolls of cable sold in big box stores. They are impossible to unwind in a straight fashion. Even some of the boxed cable rolls tend to kink like mad. Usually have to drag cables out across the yard for a long way to remove any twists and kinks, then gently roll it back into large loose loop coils that I can manage more easily. Oh yes, a helper is indeed a very valuable thing! Problem is finding one. They don't like to work when it's hot, cold, or lately days that end in "Y". :rolleyes:

Agreed. Have done the tape and re-bundle trick. Usually helps a good bit, but sometimes comes back to bite me. Don't care much for the factory prebundled cable groups...it's often easier to pull several individual cables vs one big bundle. All depends on the particulars. But, a double Cat5E cable pair would be nice, similar to the SAT TV twin RG6 pairs.. those do make life easier.
Been at it over 40 yrs now, retirement near from career #2... so I just don't take on jobs like I once did. The old knees and back say days crawling through attics and crawl spaces are almost over. I won't miss getting stung by bees in hot attics, spiders and rodents in crawl spaces, or a host of other "fun things".