Doorbird settings for BI

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I am testing out a Doorbird Video doorbell and have connected it to my BI system. When connecting the camera, I set the type to Doorbird and selected MJPEG as the model. The video quality does not seem to be that good in BI. In the doorbird app it looks fine however. I am just wondering if I am missing a setting or something else that is causing the quality issues.

Edit: Under the camera settings, the image format shows it is 640x480 and I cannot seem to change that. I am thinking this may be why the quality looks bad as it does seem to be in 640. The Doorbird cam is a 720 HD cam.

Thanks

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Looney,

Yes I did try that but BI did not find the cam. After reading the documented API, I see that 640x480 is the only resolution they provide outside of using the app. I think I am going to return the Doorbird as I don't think it provides me enough at a cost of $350. I am looking to test a Ring Pro, but do not have high hopes on that as I know I cannot use BI with it. The wife wanted something on the front door so I am looking for a solution, but not really finding much on these video doorbells.

As another possible solution, if I were to put up a camera at the door that had audio, would I be able to use the BI app to do 2-way audio? If so, what cam would you recommend?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Looney,

Yes I did try that but BI did not find the cam. After reading the documented API, I see that 640x480 is the only resolution they provide outside of using the app. I think I am going to return the Doorbird as I don't think it provides me enough at a cost of $350. I am looking to test a Ring Pro, but do not have high hopes on that as I know I cannot use BI with it. The wife wanted something on the front door so I am looking for a solution, but not really finding much on these video doorbells.

As another possible solution, if I were to put up a camera at the door that had audio, would I be able to use the BI app to do 2-way audio? If so, what cam would you recommend?
Most outdoor cameras dont have a built in speaker...you would need to add both an amplifier and a speaker.
See this...PROVANTAGE: GRANDSTREAM GDS3710 IP Video Door System Allows Sip Video Streaming
Though large, it supports onvif and rtsp as well s poe...I cannot confirm that the talk function works with BI, but if it does not im sure if you give him access he can get it to work.
It also support sip so you can actually have a perfect video call.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I ended up returning the Doorbird and getting a RING doorbell. If DB had let me capture an HD stream to BI that may have tipped the scales in its favor, but in all the Ring has better video and audio and it meets the WAF as well.

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did install a simple Foscam C1 at my door. It works with two way audio. But I am living in a quiet neighborhood with almost no vandalism. I made a setup to get a notification when someone is near my door. Otherwise it only records al movements.