Doorbell camera not working after router upgrade

MrsS

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a DHI DB11 2MP wireless. At end of last year, our ISP (CenturyLink) replaced our router. New router is 5G, replacing 2.4 (?)
New IP registered on our NVR, and all security cameras in system display on our security monitors. Since replacement, our doorbell will not show on the NVR monitor and does not connect through GdMSS Plus app on my phone.
I don't even know where to begin. 1. Will the doorbell we have installed work with 5G? 2. Does the doorbell need to re-paired to wifi? If yes, do I have to remove doorbell from installed outdoor location to be physically close to wifi? 3. Is the problem in the GdMSS app setup (if so, where and what is the setting?) 4. Does the phone need to be re-paired to the doorbell? (If yes, what are the steps within the GdMSS app? ) 5. Does the NVr require reconfiguration? If so...how to navigate to the right setting?
We are an elderly couple with some IT user exposure to application(s) setup and configuration experience...but this one , so far, is beyond us! Having said that, between the two of us, we can follow well-crafted instructions.
Can anyone offer assistance?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

MrsS

n3wb
Reaction score
According to the documentation, your doorbell cam operates at 2.4GHz only. If your router is 5GHz only, then you won't see it. I'm surprised that it's only 5GHz, what is the make and model of the router?

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Since I am definitely not a techie, I have the added burden of having to research every ackronym and new term I encounter in order to determine my response. And I have not used IP Cam Talk enough to know my way around.
So, we have a ZyXel C3000Z combination modem/router.
It is both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz.
When we initially configured, we setup both frequencies, giving them each a different SSID. (Can't remember if this was mandatory or at the user discretion.)
Under radio setup, the 2.4 GHz settings are:
Selected channel = 11 (auto detect)
Wireless power level = 100%
Mode select = 802.11b. Or 802.11g or 802.11n
Spacial streams = auto detect
Aggregation state = MPDU
MIMO power save = disable
The radio setup fields for the 5 GHz are:
SELECTED CHANNEL = 149 (auto detect)
Wireless channel width = 80MHz
Wireless power level = 100%
Mode select = 802.11n or 802.11ac
Other settings appear to be defaults.
One other piece I left out is that we also have a Tp-Link wifi extender installed so boost our signal through the house.

Too much information?

laka1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have a DHI DB11 2MP wireless. At end of last year, our ISP (CenturyLink) replaced our router. New router is 5G, replacing 2.4 (?)
New IP registered on our NVR, and all security cameras in system display on our security monitors. Since replacement, our doorbell will not show on the NVR monitor and does not connect through GdMSS Plus app on my phone.
I don't even know where to begin. 1. Will the doorbell we have installed work with 5G? 2. Does the doorbell need to re-paired to wifi? If yes, do I have to remove doorbell from installed outdoor location to be physically close to wifi? 3. Is the problem in the GdMSS app setup (if so, where and what is the setting?) 4. Does the phone need to be re-paired to the doorbell? (If yes, what are the steps within the GdMSS app? ) 5. Does the NVr require reconfiguration? If so...how to navigate to the right setting?
We are an elderly couple with some IT user exposure to application(s) setup and configuration experience...but this one , so far, is beyond us! Having said that, between the two of us, we can top-slotmachine.com slots online follow well-crafted instructions.
Can anyone offer assistance?
I have this problem too, couldn't fix it yet.

Last edited:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As SouthernYankee stated, the name of the 2.4GHz wireless network (SSID) needs to be the same as the old modem/router, along with the same WiFi password. You can find instructions, such as how to set up your modem/router, change the settings, etc on CenturyLink's webpages (see below). Ensure your 5GHz SSID is different (for example add 5G to the end of the name, see example below).

1612546449253.png

If you can't remember the old modem/router WiFi SSID name and password or it still won't connect, the only option is to reset the video doorbell camera. This will most likely require you to remove it off the wall so you can scan in the QR code on the back and press the reset button. See documentation and video below.

If the modem/router is the same location as the old one, you should be OK and the camera should be able to connect to it.

CenturyLink Documents and video:

Dahua Doorbell document and video:

MrsS

n3wb
Reaction score
The SSID used in the old router must be the same in the new router. or you will need to reconfigure the door bell.
So, if I reset the SSID on the new router back to its former setting...does that mean that all of the devices that are now using the wifi under the new SSID name (android tablet, ASUS laptop, motog mobile phone) stop working.

And, our old router was only 2.4 GHz. The new router/modem has both 2.4 and 5 HGz..and required (or seemed to require) separate SSID names. We gave the 2.4 SSID a name of xxxgrexxs and the 5 Gzhz we named xxxgrexxs5G. Our thinking was that if the doorbell would only work at 2.4, the application would automatically be looking for the 2.4 and access that 'path' (probably not the right term) and ignore the SSID setup for the 5G. Sounds like this was not correct?
Is changing the new router SSID still the same correction?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, if I reset the SSID on the new router back to its former setting...does that mean that all of the devices that are now using the wifi under the new SSID name (android tablet, ASUS laptop, motog mobile phone) stop working.

And, our old router was only 2.4 GHz. The new router/modem has both 2.4 and 5 HGz..and required (or seemed to require) separate SSID names. We gave the 2.4 SSID a name of xxxgrexxs and the 5 Gzhz we named xxxgrexxs5G. Our thinking was that if the doorbell would only work at 2.4, the application would automatically be looking for the 2.4 and access that 'path' (probably not the right term) and ignore the SSID setup for the 5G. Sounds like this was not correct?
Is changing the new router SSID still the same correction?
You mention the new modem/router SSID name is xxxgrexxs for 2.4GHz, is that the same SSID name of the old modem/router? The doorbell cam only remembers the original SSID name and the original WiFi password. If they are not the same as the old modem/router, it won't connect.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Forgot to answer your other question. If your tablet, laptop and phone are using the 5GHz WiFi connection and you don't change the 5GHz SSID name, then you should be ok. However, if any device that is using 2.4GHz WiFi and you change the SSID and/or password, they yes you will need to re-connect to the 2.4GHz WiFi on them.