Door lock system with keypad

cwilson1996

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have never installed any sort of Key pad/card system for building entrances. I'm looking for a product that will allow key codes to be set for each individual, be that a vendor or employee, that will notify the admin every time someone enters. This can be over Wifi over PoE. Any ideas? My primary focus for this customer is PoE Camera system, but he asked about basic entrance systems as well. Thought I would start here with some ideas. Thanks!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's a very wide range of products for access control. This isn't something I've installed recently.

Products range from manually programmed keypads that can be bypassed with a magnet to things you'd find at a corporate or government office. There are quite a few generic Chinese products on Amazon and eBay that are best avoided. It's better to pair a card or phone app with a code than to just rely on a code. Some systems can operate standalone, others require subscription costs, some have alarm system like functionality or integrate with alarm systems. Some can integrate with a camera system.

If you care at all about security, you don't want a system where the door strike is wired directly the keypad. You want a system where the door strike is wired to a separate door controller (which can be for a single door or multiple doors).

Budget is probably the most important constraint. How big of a facility, number of doors to be included, number of employees?

I'd suggest you start by looking at:
Note, that a device that can run the UniFi access application like a UDM or Cloud Key is required.

For more general info / discussion:
(not particularly active)

Some systems primarily use RS-485 serial for communication, others are network based (much better suited to a sprawling campus). The network side of access control introduces some security concerns, the best practice would be to isolate access control devices in a VLAN and restrict who can access the embedded web server if the controller has one.

There are also some different wireless lock systems, kind of like the doors in a hotel. For example makes quite a few wireless products.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One thing to note, some states have more stringent licensing requirements for people who install access control. The main concern being, the potential to limit building egress in the event of a fire (bigger issue with mag locks than other types of strikes / locks).

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the direction! I'll be sure to look into these options
Budget is probably the most important constraint. Many options have some recurring subscription costs (especially cloud management or using phones as access tokens). Many access control contractors would have customers pay a monthly maintenance contract.

How big of a facility, number of doors to be included, number of employees? Multiple locations?

cwilson1996

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m only being asked about 1 entrance door. This is a small business (3-6 employees).

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m only being asked about 1 entrance door. This is a small business (3-6 employees).
The most basic "single door" entry systems typically don't have an audit trail or the ability to send notifications (this would be things like the Securitron DK-26SS). You'll need something a bit more advanced. How are you recording the cameras, nvr or what VMS?

What kind of door hardware / door is it? A picture of the door could be helpful.

Some possibilities, there are others. You'd have to add a magnetic door strike or electro-mechanical lock.
Unifi Access G2 Starter Kit Pro $600 and CloudKey+ $200
The non-pro kit is $300 cheaper but, codes to enter aren't an option have to use fobs, cards, or phone app instead; no video intercom on non-pro.

ICT Protege WX (seems like a nice system, but not sure how hard it is to get your hand on)

DMP X1 Single Door Access control or XR550 if you want a more capable system (alarm system with access control) (I think this has a subscription cost)
https://www.dmp.com/products/access-control/x1/x1

CDVI A22 $683 and CDVI + Keypad reader or A22KITSKB $1103

Brivo ACS-SDC / ACS100 (less secure as relay / sensitive wires on outside of building) / ACS300 with B-BSKF-B Keypad reader (These may have a subscription cost)

ProDataKey Red 1 $454 or RedCloudNode + Keypad reader (These have a subscription cost)

Kantech KT-1 + Keypad reader

Dahua ASC3202B / ASC2202C-S + keypad reader

Cansec Webster Mini + keypad reader (verify keypads are supported)

Be careful with some of the basic non-subscription type systems about your network topology and don't forward ports or do anything dumb like that (particularly the last 3 in this list).

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, it may be a good idea to hire out the actual magnetic strike / elecro-mechanical lock retrofit installation to a locksmith.