Don from SF Bay Area

videocheez

n3wb
Reaction score
I put in my first IP camera system 18 months ago and been having so much fun that its become a nice hobby. :D

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Don! What kind of IP camera are you using? I bet you don't stop at 1 ;)

videocheez

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Don! What kind of IP camera are you using? I bet you don't stop at 1 ;)
I started with Logitech 700e's. I used those for six months, ripped those out and sold them on eBay and the got Dahua 2100 1.3MP bullets and ripped those out and resold on ebay and now im using Hikvision 3MP bullets and one Hikvision 3MP dome. Great quality, but I will probably get rid of the Dome. It's got some weird IR reflection going on. It was actually nice when I first installed it but once I moved it never looked good again. I have a total of 7 cameras with 2-3 more blind spots and looking to get my first PTZ. If you got any suggestions for a PTZ around $500, please let me know. Thanks, VC

Last edited:

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Not really a specific one, any PoE+ switch should work to power it.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera has no ir, so it won't be good choice for any location that isn't well lit at night.

videocheez

n3wb
Reaction score
That camera has no ir, so it won't be good choice for any location that isn't well lit at night.
I have sodium street lights nearby that are on all night and incandescent motion lights all around so it I think it might be okay. I also so a review today on an Acti camera that looks equivalent and is boasting about superior low light quality. I know that it twice the price of the Dahua but it looks like it might be a good one.

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68_76&products_id=332&zenid=1064b444a7391057a86bb20450b4340b

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
If night time isn't important for you, than get a ptz without ir. But a ptz without ir will not be fully effective at night- imo, not nearly effective enough. You need the ability to light up the darkness. Not just see the lighted areas really well, but every single shadowy dark area. Otherwise you will lose critical chances of ID'ing someone or some suspicious action. It's inevitable. If night time is important, I would highly recommend putting the budget to a more capable ir ptz. Take a look at the video I posted in the picture and video forum in the 'strange dude' thread. There's street lights out there. But without ir, forget it. Just understand fully what you need and invest accordingly. Saving money on a ptz without ir for exterior night surveillance is not wise, imo.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just installed that PTZ for a friend. He has a street light or two and it works great at night. The 12x optical is more than enough and the 2mp image is awesome.

photo3-14.jpgClipboard01-85.jpgClipboard01-86.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a good example of the zoom capability.

Clipboard01-87.jpg

Clipboard02-18.jpg

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
That's an excellent image, don't get me wrong. But zoom in on a truly dark area out there and it won't produce nearly how an ir camera can. The one on your balcony, that's a truly effective night camera. But everyone has different wants and needs. Just my opinion is all.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. If there was no light at all, that PTZ would be useless.