Does such an IP camera exist ????

oldcowbody

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello.
I am in hopes that someone on here can help me.
I am looking for a camera that will take a picture at a certain time, and forward the photo to me via email.
the camera will also need to be outdoor rated, and wireless.

I have a few remote livestock watering pumps. I want to aim the camera at the water tank. If I see in either once
per day or twice per day pictures that there is no water, I will need to go check things out.
I plan to use an AT&T hotspot device for internet access. In addition, I will have a wx station at the location, and
it will also connect thru the hotspot device to weather underground.

I do not want to use streaming or motion activation, since I am on a data budget. The hotspot only gets 2 gig
of data per month.

also, everything will be soloar powered.

Thank you

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello.
I am in hopes that someone on here can help me.
I am looking for a camera that will take a picture at a certain time, and forward the photo to me via email.
the camera will also need to be outdoor rated, and wireless.

I have a few remote livestock watering pumps. I want to aim the camera at the water tank. If I see in either once
per day or twice per day pictures that there is no water, I will need to go check things out.
I plan to use an AT&T hotspot device for internet access. In addition, I will have a wx station at the location, and
it will also connect thru the hotspot device to weather underground.

I do not want to use streaming or motion activation, since I am on a data budget. The hotspot only gets 2 gig
of data per month.

also, everything will be soloar powered.

Thank you
it's not hard to schedule image upload on most decent cameras (look at hikvision and dahua).

Watering pumps? as in electric pump, float switch, etc or windmill?

In addition to sending pics at an interval, if you got a camera with alarm i/o you could wire a float switch into the camera and have it send a picture anytime the water's low.

To conserve data, simply don't send full resolution images. The cam might be 2-4 megapixels but you might only send an image that's 640x480

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a weather station, you could go get your HAM license and transmit the data via APRS, along with the data from a float switch telling you if your tank is empty or not... without any need for cameras or networks.

would be much cheaper to maintain.. you'd need a VHF Radio, antenna, and a digipeater like this w/a IO module: http://microsat.com.pl/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=54