Does bacon grease on dog poop really work?

Reaction score
Okay, I realize that this is a weird title for a thread, but the problem is real.

Twice in the past week the same woman has walked her dog by my house and let it poop on my lawn. Then she pretends to pick up the poop, and instead walks away leaving the mess there. She wants everyone to think she's doing the right thing, but clearly doesn't feel the least bit guilty about it.

I've posted both incidents on NextDoor and gotten many sympathetic comments, including an offer to provide her name and address so I can deposit the poop on her own lawn. My wife put her foot down on that: "I will not allow you to stoop to her level. I'll clean it up myself first."

So what to do? I've read of an old trick in situations such as this: pour bacon grease on the poop. The next time the dog visits, he'll gobble up his own turds. But is this just a funny Internet meme, or does it really work?

Any suggestions on how I can get my revenge on the "poop-e-trator"?
View attachment no poop fairy.mov

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
A friggin walking skeleton...

Does she come by at the same time every day? I'd be inclined to get a lawn chair and a cold beer out and sit and wait for her just to see what she does when she sees you.

Reaction score
A friggin walking skeleton...

Does she come by at the same time every day? I'd be inclined to get a lawn chair and a cold beer out and sit and wait for her just to see what she does when she sees you.
Yes, she clearly has physical / psychological issues (possibly related). She doesn't walk by my house every day, but in the instances that her dog has crapped on my lawn, it has happened between 10:30 and 10:40 a.m.

I've been assured by a neighbor that she is a thoroughly unpleasant person, and is best avoided. I'm fine with leaving her be, but not when her dog leaves a huge load of crap on my grass.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We've had that problem, and we "the neighborhood" have found that the only real solution is to confront them about it with a video recorder running or in front of your security cams with audio.
Then tell the person they are being recorded every time, and that the next time they do that, you'll report her to the authorities. In our case, that has worked 4 times now. People were always from a different neighborhood than ours.

Reaction score
We've had that problem, and we "the neighborhood" have found that the only real solution is to confront them about it with a video recorder running or in front of your security cams with audio.
Then tell the person they are being recorded every time, and that the next time they do that, you'll report her to the authorities. In our case, that has worked 4 times now. People were always from a different neighborhood than ours.
I'm kicking around the idea of putting up a sign next to the poop, with some pictures of her and her dog: "Smile! You're on Nextdoor. Clean up after your dog - don't just pretend to do it!"

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of putting up a sign next to the poop, with some pictures of her and her dog: "Smile! You're on Nextdoor. Clean up after your dog - don't just pretend to do it!"
Put a link to the YouTube video of her pretending to pick up the poop as well. My vote is for the sign. More aggressive than passive aggressive! :)

Reaction score
Put a link to the YouTube video of her pretending to pick up the poop as well. My vote is for the sign. More aggressive than passive aggressive! :)
I mentioned this to my wife, but she is reluctant. I've been told that the poop-e-trator is an extremely nasty person. Her fear is that if confronted, the poop-e-trator might retaliate by doing something like hurting our own dogs. They roam in our fenced-in back yard. It would be trivial for someone to toss a poisoned treat over the fence. It might be better to talk to one of my friends on the police force about this before taking action.

On the flip side, I spotted a huge pile of poop in my neighbor's yard this afternoon, then went back and checked my cameras. Sure enough, she pulled the same stunt at 11:06 a.m. this morning in their yard. I'm going to talk to my neighbor about this.

View attachment no poop fairy neighbors.mov

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just remember, people can turn out to be anybody. Let it go with a nice talk when you see her next time.
Does not worth the trouble, don’t buy yourself problems. Don’t attract people aiming their gun at your house.

Reaction score
Just remember, people can turn out to be anybody. Let it go with a nice talk when you see her next time.
Does not worth the trouble, don’t buy yourself problems. Don’t attract people aiming their gun at your house.
Since that she seems to pass our house within the same 30 minute window each day, my wife plans to watch for her and confront her first. Now that her dog has decided that my yard and my neighbor's yard are its bathrooms, it will want to return to those spots. I am certain we will see her again, and soon.

In the meantime I'll keep posting more images on Nextdoor.

Reaction score
I don’t know that I would confront her. Rather, check your local ordinances and see if defecating and leaving it is a misdemeanor. Not at the top of the crime chain, but with continued video clips (say 20), take it to the police.

Reaction score
The dog looks to be scenting where it has :poop::poop: in the past and uses that as a marker to go again , there's a cheap product on the market called Cayenne Pepper ..lol put a shake down around that area each day . That way no interaction necessary :cool:
That's an excellent idea. If nothing else, I can persuade the dog to move on to someone else's yard without any permanent harm.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I to am having the same issue, some new renters moved in on my road a few months ago and there's dog turd all over the place. Have captured them on cam once, never knew that the dog would mark and sniff my driveway as its toilet. Might give the pepper trick a try but it's not the dogs fault which is why I'm hesitant to give it a try.