Does anyone deploy imitation/dummy cameras in their setup?

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That Swann dummy cam looks very convincing though, no? It's an all metal housing, too. This is probably the most common sec. camera one would find in a residential area (I've seen many just like it around the block - commonly sold in kits at Costco).

The only con is that it doesn't simulate nighttime IR illumination (no red glow from the LED array). That's still better than the painfully obvious fake red LED flashing ligh in other intimation cams.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If someone is going to the effort to put up a fake camera. Although I suppose it only takes putting in a couple screws, I would much rather put the effort into it by adding a real camera. If something happened, I'd rather be able to see what happened rather than not just because I "thought" a camera (real or fake) would deter someone.

Smart people will not do anything if they see a camera, dumb, desperate or stupid will do something; camera or not. Real or Not.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If someone is going to the effort to put up a fake camera. Although I suppose it only takes putting in a couple screws, I would much rather put the effort into it by adding a real camera. If something happened, I'd rather be able to see what happened rather than not just because I "thought" a camera (real or fake) would deter someone.

Smart people will not do anything if they see a camera, dumb, desperate or stupid will do something; camera or not. Real or Not.
And in the end it comes down to if the ones using fake cameras can actually afford of have the knowledge of cameras.

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be sure, I am talking about supplementing existing working cameras with decoy ones in my setup in areas where it is very difficult to run cable to.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And in the end it comes down to if the ones using fake cameras can actually afford of have the knowledge of cameras.
No, I understand. But, it's really not that hard to figure it out, honestly. You can take it step by step and learn as you go, I see there being no rush in getting the real cameras up and operating, since fake cameras were going to be installed anyway. So it's a learning experience and will give you actual security.

Everyone here will be happy to guide you through each obstacle as it comes. It's actually easier than trying to program the time on a VCR or microwave lol.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To be sure, I am talking about supplementing existing working cameras with decoy ones in my setup in areas where it is very difficult to run cable to.
If you really wanted to add non working cameras in those areas, get real cameras and just mount them. It would be almost impossible for a person to know that they weren't recording. The decoy cameras always just look fake and everyone usually can tell the difference. I know it's extra money spent, but that could mean the difference between damage to property and not, or worse.