do you hide the nvr and BI computer

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Title says it
im trying to decide if its worth it to hide the pc and the nvr?
i actually have an old switch and an old dead pc im going to make a dummy that is in plain sight.
Hopefully someone would see that and take it thinking its doing the work

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Title says it
im trying to decide if its worth it to hide the pc and the nvr?
i actually have an old switch and an old dead pc im going to make a dummy that is in plain sight.
Hopefully someone would see that and take it thinking its doing the work
Maybe also have the dummy PC logged onto the server with UI3 full screen on the monitor, when they unplug the PC the monitor will go black, possibly convince them even more they got the right PC. :idk:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine is in my loft, I run it headless. I suppose if the perps follow the cables then they’d probably find it. Don’t have any other viewing screens, except on the TV which we hardly ever use, we all use the mobile app.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've thought about doing something like this, but I'm not ready to move it off my rack currently. Ive thought about buying rack locks since I doubt they're gonna get the full 24u rack out with all the equipment.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not say mine is "hidden" per se but it's not in sight of the casual observer. My home office is the smallest bedroom in the house which has a closet. My equipment is sitting on the shelf of that closet. All the Cat6 wire goes up and into the attic and the network connects to the router (other side of the house) using a powerline network adapter. I ran power to the closet through the attic so that there is are a couple of wall outlets. There are no cable to follow but I would assume a burglar would go through all the rooms, closets, cabinets, drawers, doors, etc. I don't know if they make lockable sliding closet doors. The best defense is to begin with a home security alarm system and of course secured windows/doors. There is only so much you can do. Some burglars/robbers want you to be home so they can kindly ask you where everything is...LOL!

1695652117598.png

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine is in a rack with only servers and storage, unlabeled, and headless, so good figuring out which it is, or uncabling it all to move it, a machete doesn't go through SAS interconnect wires. And it's screwed down and the removal tool isn't near it.

Should that fail, by the time they're at the rack the alerts are already backed up both on-site to my local backup (5 second lag) and off-site as well (keeps 24 hours only, but stops deleting if uploads stop).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
buy a decoy CCTV analog DVR ... setup next to big screen TV ..

Reaction score
Most home burglaries happen fast. In and out in a few minutes. I doubt if they bother to search for the camera's NVR. If you have a BI server, then it probably looks like a PC, as does mine. Not hidden and actually in a hallway upstairs. But do they really want that with the alarm blaring?

Most enter through front or rear door, which is alarmed at my house. Unless it is well planned, like they drive up in a van and expect to clean out the gun safes, PCs, Playstations, smart TVs, then they are only going to grab jewelry, light small stuff, and then run. Smash and grab. The alarm will make them be quick. May not even go upstairs. That is what happened to me in my home in NOLA back in the 1980's. Did not have an alarm then. Lady across the street saw them, called cops, but they had left already. The biggest things they took were two SLR cameras and a stereo component DVD player. The rest was jewelry and other light, small stuff.

Now if they are determined and know how to defeat the alarm, then all bets are off and they get what they want and the cam system will be worthless anyway.

That is my 2 cents worth anyway.

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most home burglaries happen fast. In and out in a few minutes. I doubt if they bother to search for the camera's NVR. If you have a BI server, then it probably looks like a PC, as does mine. Not hidden and actually in a hallway upstairs. But do they really want that with the alarm blaring?
I mean, they might grab something that looks like a PC. But my physical security is only secondarily about burglary, the primary concern and reason for the backups is actually fire. And, well, it's on a rack because all of my equipment is on racks. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I try to make it hard for the NVR / VMS PC to grow legs whenever I set one up. You can screw it down, rackmount with security screws / locking rack, use a padlock / kensington lock, and/or put it in a locked closet. I'm partial to a fortified closet that locks.