Do they make a 2 or even 3 port PCI NIC card? Or is better to go for PCI#1 NIC and PCI#2 NIC?

Reaction score
Trying to build Blue Iris machine for a customer.
20 cameras. Through ideas suggested here, I want to break then into 2 groups going to 2 different POE switches for redunancy.
To play it safe and simple, I am planning to add a single PCI NIC card. Was hoping to find a NIC card that can be 2 or even 3 ports.
But as I type this, another thought popped into my caveman head. Any Windows10 Pro limitations on having Motherboard NIC, PCI#1 NIC, and a PCI#2 NIC?
That way, Motherboard NIC can talk to customer network. PCI#1 NIC can talk to POE switch 1, PCI#2 NIC can talk to POE switch 2.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you do decide to go for a multi port NIC make sure you get something decent, look for a server grade card second hand that would come with say a HP, Dell or other server manufacturers as they’ll have been tested and verified for throughout, concurrency etc.

I have a dual port NIC in my BI desktop, which I luckily picked up for free from work which came out of a server.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Back to the mentality for purposely going with multiple PoE switches :thumb:

Should you puposely go with multiple single-port network cards for the same reason?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think your better off sticking with intel based adapters. Something like this is really popular, I picked up one of these for use in a home server running ESXI
HP 593722-B21

Attachments

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think your better off sticking with intel based adapters. Something like this is really popular, I picked up one of these for use in a home server running ESXI
HP 593722-B21

This... I use them in my pfSense routers... HP NC365T 4 port NIC, fairly cheap on ebay.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is important to install the proper driver for the nic card even if windows recognizes it without it. I had a machine that would should 60-70 percent cpu even with one 4mp cam attached using substreams. Took me an hour to figure out it was the driver for the card. How was it causing high cpu usage? No clue. I actually uninstalled the driver to verify that this was the cause.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone mixed and matched Tp-link with Intel? Optiplex usually provides an Intel based onboard NIC( I think).... Now that I read this post....I'm skeptical of my Tp-Link Nic card sitting here on the desk.
I should put it in and see what crashes.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow that was horrid. Installed TP-link TG-3468, Windows 11 Stalled on boot. Had to do a forced power off. Moved ethernet to Tplink.
Booted normally.
Lost X drive. BI video drive. LOL. Disturbed /Lifted the SATA cable a little opening the weird case.
tried Netspeed....303 down 28 up
BI using 19-20% CPU....hmmm
Better check dat driver
Showing as a Realtek device on PCIe Bus 2.
1674114412216.png
Installed provided driver.
CPU dropped to 12%-13%.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
But as I type this, another thought popped into my caveman head. Any Windows10 Pro limitations on having Motherboard NIC, PCI#1 NIC, and a PCI#2 NIC?
That way, Motherboard NIC can talk to customer network. PCI#1 NIC can talk to POE switch 1, PCI#2 NIC can talk to POE switch 2.
I bought my Dual NIC off of Ebay, it was like $10.

My machine runs the onboard connection and the dual card.

Onboard = 192.168.1.XX for setting up Dahua cameras and goes to a desktop POE switch under the network rack.
Dual NIC port #1 = 192.168.0.XX for local network and goes to my network switch.
Dual NIC port #2 = 10.7.XX.XX for camera IPs and goes to my main POE switch.

JustAnotherCameraGuy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Holbs I've been following a few of your discussions regarding the BI setup for a customer. Is this something you are doing on the side or is it part of your normal business? I have some suggestions depending on the use case.

Reaction score
@Holbs I've been following a few of your discussions regarding the BI setup for a customer. Is this something you are doing on the side or is it part of your normal business? I have some suggestions depending on the use case.
this will be part of the business, as I want to jump into it. So sick and tired of so-called camera installers coming in with low-grade camera/nvr combo's with no fine tuning what-so-ever of camera image parameters (day or night), I know I can do a much better quality end result.
I've seen businesses install Wisenet cameras. I want to speak up, but it's not my place.
I've seen businesses install Hik visions nvr/cams. That's great...much respect for HIK's. But everything is left default (cringe).
I've seen businesses iinstall Axxis cameras (or Axis?). I believe they are good cameras but egads...the price tag. Cheaper to buy all new Cisco POE switches or something.

I've just seen half-assed installs with uber priced cameras or trash cameras. I believe Windows, Blue Iris, Dahua cams would make a difference.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I like what Holbs is doing.....the direction he is going.
If I was 15 years younger I might try to team up with him....and pull some drops and install some cams and load up some BI machines.