Do PoE injectors work with powerline adapters?

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm setting up a Empire 2MP varifocal IP camera for my sister. I'm using TP-Link powerline adapters connected to her router and the camera, which is working fine with a temporary setup.

I plan on mounting the camera outside her garage which has no power outlets close by. Can a PoE injector be connected to the camera powerline adapter to supply power to the camera instead of running a long extension cord to power the camera using a 12 volt adapter? I would think it would work, but have never tried it.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Larebear just keep in mind that Power Adapters are hit and miss depending on the wiring of the house. While they say they should work if everything is run from the same panel I have seen differently. Perfect case is that the two adapters (transmitter and receiver) are both connected to the same single breaker - not just the main, but the actual single 15/20amp breaker. I have seen adapters be installed under the same main 200amp service breaker but on different individual 15/20amp breakers that don't work or don't work well.

Just don't want you to rely on this working and get everything wired then run into an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

yancym

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using the Top-201 mini IP cameras (search for post on these) which are not POE enabled. I'm using the NetGear 1200 PowerLine adapters with one of my cams close enough to run directly with the power supply. The 1200's have the pass thru socket which I plug the camera ps in to. I have one camera that is too far to directly power, so I use a POE injector/splitter adapter set. At the wall socket, I plug the 1200 into the socket and the camera PS into the 1200. I then plug the POE injector adapter into the 1200 and the camera ps. Those two combine into a female RJ45 which the network cable plugs in to. That cable then runs to to the POE splitter adapter which is the plugged into the camera RJ45 fem and PS plugs. My third camera isn't setup yet, but I've tested from my garage. I also use the POE Injector/splitter adapters. My receiving 1200, plugged into a 1GB Switch is on the same breaker as my 2nd camera. My first and garage camera are on 2 different breakers. I have 2 phase power but believe all of these are on same phase. I am getting 24+fps from my cameras during daytime hours, lower a night but that is probably due to switching to black and white.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that replied on this topic. I went ahead and ordered a TP-Link injector on Amazon. I'll connect it to the Power Line Adapter this next weekend and finish the camera installation at my sisters house.

I've had good luck with Power Line Adapters in the past. I used them for a client a couple years ago and his Hik 2032 has worked flawlessly ever since. His garage where we mounted the camera was quite a distance from the router in the basement of his house but they were on the same breaker panel, so the PLA's communicated without a problem. I've also used them in my own house and garage in the past but have since hard wired the garage.