Do PoE cams connect at gigabit speed?

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a networking novice. House is wired with CAT 6 and I have a gigabit switch (half PoE, half non-PoE). I spent some time recently re-punching some of my keystone connectors to get reliable gigabit negotiation with my PCs. I had been using my gigabit light for each channel on my TP-LINK switch as the indicator. I found some issues with bad punchdowns on the keystones that I resolved.

I've connected my first PoE camera in multiple locations on my switch, and I'm noting that it is the only device not negotiating at gigabit speed. I guess I wanted to confirm that a PoE camera should connect at gigabit speed so I don't spend time chasing my tail for a problem that doesn't exist. I had read that gigabit negotiation requires all 8 conductors on a cable, so I wasn't sure if the PoE functionality somehow prevents gigabit connections.

Edit: I found the spec sheet for the camera which shows that it's 10/100 Base-T. Is this common or a sign of a lesser camera that I should avoid?

Thanks!

mioutlook

n3wb
Reaction score
It is not unusual for IP security cameras to only have 10/100 Base-T. This is common and not a sign of a lesser camera. There are cameras capable for gigabit connections but most cameras don't come close to using all that bandwidth.

Axis cameras can be found with gigabit capable network ports, but even then a couple $2,000 US PTZ cameras I have from them are only 10/100 and work perfectly fine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Totally normal to have 10/100 Base-T.

These are surveillance cameras and not Hollywood production movie cameras LOL, so there is a lot of compression of the data bandwidth. Most of these cameras transmit under 10Mbps and that is only if you are maxing out every parameter, which isn't recommended.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you are using really high resolution (20MP +) cameras, you will not need more than 100mb.

Think about it, a camera sending 100Mb+ of information a second is a lot of video to store.
I also don't think we'll ever need more than 100mb in the future. Video compression technology is enabling more resolution with less space.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is good to have that extra capacity and freeboard though! As @sebastiantombs says here, cameras multiply like rabbits lol. A few cameras might work on a 100MB switch, but add 40 cameras and you will be glad you have the gigabit infrastructure LOL.