Do I need virus protection?

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I now have a pc that is dedicated to running only Blue Iris. Since I am not "surfing the internet", emailing, or doing anything else with this pc, I have concluded that I don't need any virus software running on this pc. Is this a safe assumption, or am I full of it?

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are probably going to be safe. But I would still at least install Microsoft Security Essentials on it as well as MalwareBytes anti malware. Just disable both, then just do a scan once a month or so.

You need to worry about other machines (your's or guests) on the same network that could infect it over the network (ok, it's unlikely).

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply typo. Microsoft Defender replaced Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 8 and 10. I upgraded the Blue Iris computer to Windows 10 and it has Defender running by default.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I put Malwarebytes on several, but not all of my systems. This in addition to Windows Defender. For a PC that nobody ever browses the internet on, I don't think you really need a 3rd party scanner.

The best way to avoid viruses is to be smart about what you click on. But even that can't help you always, since some exploits don't require user interaction! One of the reasons staying up-to-date is a very good idea.

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got all my machines behind a linksys wrt54gl router running dd-wrt, which is a linux iptables firewall. Only port 443 is forwarded through stunnel to the BI server. Been running similar setups like that for years and I swear by it, HTH

zhill29

n3wb
Reaction score
If your running Defender you'll be fine, I've been only running Security Essentials on all my computers for quite some time now and have never had an issue.