Do I need a NVR?

Pico

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 7 hikvision cameras.
i have them connected to my POE smart switch.
From the smart switch I have a NAS connected.
I am currently setting the cameras up to record to my readynas.

Will this setup allow me to record to my NAS and then view playback remotely with the mobile app IVM-4500 or do I have to get a NVR in between to do the recording and stream the playback to the mobile app?
Secondly to output to a TV do I have to get a NVR to encode the video output to stream it to a Tv on the network connected to the smart switch?

From what I have read I will be able to connect to the cameras to view playback directly from a web browser but not sure if the mobile app will allow me to watch playback without a NVR???

Trying to work out what i will and wont be able to do with hikvision cameras on my network set up without a NVR.
Might have to get one possibly but If i can avoid it and save some money great.

magga

n3wb
Reaction score
You can add the cameras separately in the app, but I think the playback will only work if you have an NVR, it will not be able to play from your NAS, I don't believe.

GSB1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can playback in the app with recordings on a NAS.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on what your after, I always use an nvr, but for great control of your system either Blue iris or ivms-4200

Pico

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends on what your after, I always use an nvr, but for great control of your system either Blue iris or ivms-4200
I can use IVM-420 to i set up a stream from the nas. might be a silly question or one i can answer me self with some reading material. If you can point me in the right direction ill find my way.

Was also thinking of installing the flex movie played add on for my readynas but not sure if that will stream the video from my nas.
Ideally I don't want another machine puged in to stream the video. If i can get my nat to do it great.
just not sure on where to start and which option is the best fit for my purpose.

My end goal - i want to view the cam output live feed and playback on a tv in the house on the local lan.
Outside the house i want to be able to view the live feed and playback through the iPhone app.

All recording to go to my readynas which i hope can do all the work of storing and streaming data.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can use IVM-420 to i set up a stream from the nas. might be a silly question or one i can answer me self with some reading material. If you can point me in the right direction ill find my way.

Was also thinking of installing the flex movie played add on for my readynas but not sure if that will stream the video from my nas.
Ideally I don't want another machine puged in to stream the video. If i can get my nat to do it great.
just not sure on where to start and which option is the best fit for my purpose.

My end goal - i want to view the cam output live feed and playback on a tv in the house on the local lan.
Outside the house i want to be able to view the live feed and playback through the iPhone app.

All recording to go to my readynas which i hope can do all the work of storing and streaming data.
To be honest if live view, streaming inside and outside of lan plus recording are your goals and if it were me I'd definitely just opt for a hik nvr and have done with it.

For a long time I used nas and then added an android box mainly for live view and to be honest it worked but was very clunky and cumbersome.
I recently added a nvr and did away with the nas setup. Personally I think it was the best thing I ever did.

Initially it was a cost saving measure as I already had the nas drive, but it was a PITA to get setup properly and every now and then give me trouble.

You can forward your ports and view easily outside the lan and I have the nvr hidden but directly connected to the tv in the bedroom.

It works great (for me anyway)

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or you can buy a cheap 7108n without the POE, just to plug into your TV as a viewing box, as @reeves1985 has said app's are not as smooth and a bit laggy on live feeds.
But as nas is no nvr, and they are getting more functionality with the latest firmware updates.

Last edited by a moderator: