Do any of you actually use Dahua P2P for external access to your cams?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also is it wise to change the default IP Cameras to on my IP Network?
If you're referring to your private IP's on your LAN, it doesn't matter when it comes to trying to improve security.
My BI server is 192.168.200.250, port 81.

Your cams should not be allowed to access the Internet.

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve an ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6. How can I set this up so that I’m not using P2P. Also is it wise to change the default IP Cameras to on my IP Network?
I have set it to go via OpenVPN to be able to view and access externally (outside my local network), and I no longer use P2P:

1. I turned off the P2P service on my NVR.
2. On my TP-Link Archer AX73 router, I enabled OpenVPN Server and then generated and exported a configuration file that I copied somewhere to the mobile phone.
3. On the provider's ONT router, I forwarded only UDP port 1194, which is required for the Open VPN service .
4. I downloaded the OpenVPN Connect application on my mobile phone and loaded that configuration file, and now when I access via DMSS from the outside, everything works flawlessly and there is no more chopping and stopping of the stream!

Last edited:

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're referring to your private IP's on your LAN, it doesn't matter when it comes to trying to improve security.
My BI server is 192.168.200.250, port 81.

Your cams should not be allowed to access the Internet.
I am referring to the IP Address of the camera which usually starts 10.1 etc should I change them to 192.168. Or does it not matter?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have set it to go via OpenVPN to be able to view and access externally (outside my local network), and I no longer use P2P:

1. I turned off the P2P service on my NVR.
2. On my TP-Link Archer AX73 router, I enabled OpenVPN Server and then generated and exported a configuration file that I copied somewhere to the mobile phone.
3. On the provider's ONT router, I forwarded only UDP port 1194, which is required for the Open VPN service .
4. I downloaded the OpenVPN Connect application on my mobile phone and loaded that configuration file, and now when I access via DMSS from the outside, everything works flawlessly and there is no more chopping and stopping of the stream!
Also disable upnp on the router and ensure there are no ports that have been forwarded.

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also disable upnp on the router and ensure there are no ports that have been forwarded.
UPnP is disabled by default, and the only port I forwarded is UDP port 1194, which is required for OpenVPN to function properly! ;)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
UPnP is disabled by default, and the only port I forwarded is UDP port 1194, which is required for OpenVPN to function properly! ;)
. UPNP is enabled by asus by default your tp link is different. The user who had the question should not need to manually create a port forward rule for the openvpn on the asus. This is standard operation on most routers/firewalls. My applogies I am not familiar with the defaults and operation of cheap chinese "firewalls"! ;)

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
. UPNP is enabled by asus by default your tp link is different. The user who had the question should not need to manually create a port forward rule for the openvpn on the asus. This is standard operation on most routers/firewalls. My applogies I am not familiar with the defaults and operation of cheap chinese "firewalls"! ;)
To clarify and explain my network configuration, I received an optical ZTE ONT F680 router with a public static IP address from the provider, and behind it for my local network I use my TP-Link Archer AX73, on which I enabled OpenVPN Server.

I didn't forward the port on the Archer AX73, but I did it only on the provider's ZTE ONT F680 so that OpenVPN would have a pass because that's how it has to be and that's the only way my OpenVPN server works properly.

There may be other solutions to enable DMZ Host or DDNS, but I wouldn't bother too much with that...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am referring to the IP Address of the camera which usually starts 10.1 etc should I change them to 192.168. Or does it not matter?
That sounds like addresses assigned by a POE NVR and if so, it's already isolated from the Internet.
In any event, I'd leave them as they are.