DNYDNS Blue Iris and Avermedia

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All

Maybe someone can solve this for me.
I have a Hybrid Avermedia NV5000 card running in one computer and Blue Iris in another.
I have a paid DNYDNS account with updater running both DNYDNS URL's on both computers.
The blue Iris IP is xxx.xxx.xx.49 and the Aver one is xxx.xxx.xx.111 at the moment.
The Aver IP gets changed back to xxx.49, and cannot be view remotely.
There are two check boxes on the updater for each URL. I tried unchecking and checking these boxes without success.
This is probably quite normal but just that I don't understand that bit of it.
The router is a WNDR3800. It has an updater built in I think.
Is it possible to run two machines at the same location with dynamic IP's
and have them update separate IP's ?
Thanks in Advance.,
Charlie

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok you have set this up incorrectly...
Im assuming you are having trouble with remote login
The machines are on the same network so they will always have the same external ip address..but they will have separate internal ip addresses.
So you need to only have the updater running on one machine (or the router)..
What you need to do is set up the port forwarding so that for example, port 8000 is forwarded to the local ip address of one machine and 8001 is forwarded to the local ip address of the second machine.
The you go to youdyndshostname.dyndns.org:8001 or 8000 for the other machine.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok you have set this up incorrectly...
Im assuming you are having trouble with remote login
The machines are on the same network so they will always have the same external ip address..but they will have separate internal ip addresses.
So you need to only have the updater running on one machine (or the router)..
What you need to do is set up the port forwarding so that for example, port 8000 is forwarded to the local ip address of one machine and 8001 is forwarded to the local ip address of the second machine.
The you go to youdyndshostname.dyndns.org:8001 or 8000 for the other machine.
Thanks Fenderman for that.
I can log into the Avermedia card externally by putting in the xxx.xxx.xxx.111 IP and its port number in the Aver Android App.
It will not work with the .xxx.49 one. Checked my laptop and it is indeed xxx.49 too so thats th correct external IP.
I can have a root around the Aver and internet settings. I see the xxx.111 IP in the Aver Network settings so maybe I need to change that to xxx.49. Wonder where the xxx.111 one came from...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So the address you are providing ending in 111 and 49 are external ip addresses? thats impossible...are the first digits of both ips the same? Do they both begin with 192 or 10?

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The local ip's are 10.0.0 ones. Just did a whatsmyip side by side and sure enough they are different. Double checked the numbers. All the same except the last one .49 and .111 They are external IP's

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Something is wrong here...im assuming you have standard internet service...you will only be issued one external ip address..

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like I have two then.. Standard fibre optic connection. I only pay for one anyway..
Avermedia connects on the xxx.111 one with wifi off on phone.
and Blue Iris connects with xxx.49:81 81 is the port number.
Is that good or bad??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I very much doubt you have two...something is setup incorrectly giving you the wrong info...what type of modem do you have?

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can see the xxx.111 listed as the external ip in the Avermedia network setup screen.
I wonder if that is getting through on the network some way?
I could try to change that but it is blanked so cannot be changed on the Avermedia screen.
Could try my internet settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what about your modem? what model is it..the wndr is the router..

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its TC7200 issued by the provider. I have that bridged because I wanted to use my own router.
Had to use some sort of hack I got online..

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I remember now.
The modem has the bridging feature disabled in Ireland so of course someone found a way to enable it.
Its a Technicolour 7200.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried connecting both machines to the modem (one is connected to the switch and one to the modem)
and I got a completely different IP. I connected it back and got the old xxx.49 one back again.
So even with both machines connected side by side to the modem, they give different external IP's
I would like to keep the switch connections free for cameras as some are POE.
I was reading about two network cards giving two IP's so maybe thats the route for investigation.
From what I can gather, two external IP's is not a great idea.