DMSS vs. DMSS-HD - IP- and DNS-Connection

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I use various Dahua cameras at home (all via LAN) with a Fritzbox. I use the DMSS (iPhone) and DMSS-HD (iPad) for monitoring.
To access my parents' camera WITHOUT a VPN (yes, you shouldn't do this - but it's necessary here), I forwarded one port in the FritzBox for DMSS to 37777 - so far so good.
I can now access DMSS-HD (i.e. iPad) via the external IP address, but also via the DNS name xyz.MYFRITZ.NET. When I use DMSS (iPhone), the connection only works via the external IP address - logging in via the DNS name is not possible.
I then installed DMSS on the iPad and have the same behavior here - IP works and DNS does not.
In other words, DMSS and DMSS-HD behave differently here.
Can anyone confirm this?
I wrote to support a long time ago - unfortunately no reply.

KR
roland

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both addresses (ddns and ip) should work the same.
Is the same problem on WIFI and GSM connection?

Maybe Your ISP changed public ip and dns record for domain didn't changed to new one (router didn't updated)..
Or in ddns configuration you have wrong port number?

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your replay. Have tried it on WiFi and also GSM. I still believe it is an app issue.

iPAD:
- DMSS-HD
-- IP connections works
-- DNS connections works
iPAD:
- DMSS
-- IP connections works
-- DNS connections works NOT

iPhone:
- DMSS
-- IP connections works

So in summary, DNS connection works with DMSS-HD on iPad, but NOT with DMSS on the same device.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
- DMSS-HD
-- DNS connections works

- DMSS

- DMSS

So in summary, DNS connection works with DMSS-HD on iPad, but NOT with DMSS on the same device.
Dahua from time to time breaks particular features in new versions of DMSS.
For example last version of DMSS dahua did something for p2p connections. it is not stable, very depended of GSM provider and DNS servers..

Next version can repair this and broke other feature..
DMSS-HD don't receive as often upgrades - so you have working DMSS-HD and broken DMSS...

PS. You can always try different DNS provider on Your iPhone in WIFI configuration.. try dns.google (8.8.8.8).. if this works you have solution.
changing dns for GSM mode is more difficult - require some app (like 1.1.1.1 faster internet)..

PS2. Do you have iCloud+? and iCloud+ private relay enabled? this can broke DMSS (and many other different apps / web sites)...

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer.
This is really a pain, that DMSS-HD is working and DMSS not.

BTW: I do not use iCloud+