DMSS question

SledMack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to have the DMSS app on both my phone and my iPad. I created an account with my email to log in. But it seems like I can't be logged in on two devices at the same time? When I log in on one, the other device gets logged out.

It's not a critical issue, just an annoyance. If there is a way around this, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What is it "logging" into? An NVR?

I know I can log into my NVR with DMSS on phone, and SmartPSS on 2 other devices simultaneously...

SledMack

n3wb
Reaction score
DMSS wanted to create an account using my email address "to get all features". So I guess it is logging into their system first, then into my local NVR.

Maybe I'll try deleting that from my phone and just going direct to the NVR and see just what features I am missing?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh that could be… maybe it doesn’t like two Dahua accounts logging in…?

SledMack

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. I can't rule out that I'm doing something wrong creating the "local" connection to the NVR. But, when I do that, I only see the push alarms if I'm looking at the live view of the camera in alarm. If I'm logged into the "account" that has a connection to my NVR, then I get notification banner/sound on my phone, and when I go to the app I can see the history of all alarms on all channels.

And, connected local it doesn't retain anything when you close the app. So if I arrange the cameras in a 4 view window, when I open the app next time they will be back to default. Using the account login, those settings are retained.

It's not a big deal for me, but I think it will be a bigger deal for my wife.

SledMack

n3wb
Reaction score
It gets more interesting. In DMSS I can enable the push notifications for each type of detection for each camera. Save it. Come back and nothing is selected. No errors or warnings when I save the settings. At this point, I can't tell what is not working versus what is limited in the "local" NVR connection?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I just tested again. Lots of moving parts for sure.

I get push alerts to my phone and alarm messages in the app (app closed) regardless of whether Im logged into the Dahua account or not. (Remote not connected to my home wfii)
Yes, once I've logged out (of the Dahua account), the multi-channel alarm subscriptions must be re-checked. It didnt save them.

What I do is create two separate profiles in DMSS. HOME and REMOTE
REMOTE is obviously not connected to local Wifi and is added using the QR code scanned from the NVR. HOME is added like I add any other NVR, using the IP address of the NVR not the QR code. I dont use P2P regularly, but it can be handy. So if Im going to be gone for a while, I'll turn it on on the NVR before I leave. Then use the REMOTE profile on the phone

Last edited:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Run into this a lot at customers with husband and wife’s. You have to create 2 accounts, one for each, make one primary and then share to the other.
Kind of sucks because both have to be there and not getting phone calls.

SledMack

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tested again. Lots of moving parts for sure.

I get push alerts to my phone and alarm messages in the app (app closed) regardless of whether Im logged into the Dahua account or not. (Remote not connected to my home wfii)
Yes, once I've logged out (of the Dahua account), the multi-channel alarm subscriptions must be re-checked. It didnt save them.

What I do is create two separate profiles in DMSS. HOME and REMOTE
REMOTE is obviously not connected to local Wifi and is added using the QR code scanned from the NVR. HOME is added like I add any other NVR, using the IP address of the NVR not the QR code. I dont use P2P regularly, but it can be handy. So if Im going to be gone for a while, I'll turn it on on the NVR before I leave. Then use the REMOTE profile on the phone
Interesting results. Created a local device using the IP address. That does allow me to save the alarm push message selection. I went out and walked in front of the cameras a bunch of times, had a long list of alarms on my phone lock screen. That was good. Once I selected one of those and it took me into the app, that is the only alarm trip I can see.

There is a message when configuring a local IP that the alarm messages aren't saved and will be lost when you close the app. That's not completely true in my case either. I have the one message in my alarm message list. I can close the app, lock the phone, come back in and that message remains. But the other dozen that were on my lock screen as alerts (and are in my message box in the "account") are not visible at all.

P2P connection - when I try to enable the alarms channel by channel, the settings are not saved and no error messages are shown. But, I found the Multi-channel alarm subscription page. If I go there and enable the alarms, when I touch "save" it comes back with a "Failed to Subscribe" message. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Ultimately, I think the local IP connection will work for my wife's iPad. It only has wifi and never leaves the house. She wants it to alert her, which it will do. But she will have to go to the Live camera view to see what is going on outside. I'm not sure that for her, for this application, she needs any more than this? As long as it makes some noise, flashes the banner on the screen, she knows to go look at the live screen.

I think for my phone, since I travel for work, I'll need the "account" configuration. If I'm with a client I can't be checking my phone. So I come out of the meeting and I can see the list of alarm messages and video clips. But I could be looking at this hours later, so the live view isn't going to help me at that point in time. (Unless I get the P2P to work without the "account" login?)

SledMack

n3wb
Reaction score
Run into this a lot at customers with husband and wife’s. You have to create 2 accounts, one for each, make one primary and then share to the other.
Kind of sucks because both have to be there and not getting phone calls.
I found reference that this could be done, but not the instructions. I'll keep digging. When she gets home I'll snag her phone and start trying things to see what works.

Is there a workaround for each person having multiple devices? Without creating multiple email addresses.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting results. Created a local device using the IP address. That does allow me to save the alarm push message selection. I went out and walked in front of the cameras a bunch of times, had a long list of alarms on my phone lock screen. That was good. Once I selected one of those and it took me into the app, that is the only alarm trip I can see.

There is a message when configuring a local IP that the alarm messages aren't saved and will be lost when you close the app. That's not completely true in my case either. I have the one message in my alarm message list. I can close the app, lock the phone, come back in and that message remains. But the other dozen that were on my lock screen as alerts (and are in my message box in the "account") are not visible at all.

P2P connection - when I try to enable the alarms channel by channel, the settings are not saved and no error messages are shown. But, I found the Multi-channel alarm subscription page. If I go there and enable the alarms, when I touch "save" it comes back with a "Failed to Subscribe" message. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Ultimately, I think the local IP connection will work for my wife's iPad. It only has wifi and never leaves the house. She wants it to alert her, which it will do. But she will have to go to the Live camera view to see what is going on outside. I'm not sure that for her, for this application, she needs any more than this? As long as it makes some noise, flashes the banner on the screen, she knows to go look at the live screen.

I think for my phone, since I travel for work, I'll need the "account" configuration. If I'm with a client I can't be checking my phone. So I come out of the meeting and I can see the list of alarm messages and video clips. But I could be looking at this hours later, so the live view isn't going to help me at that point in time. (Unless I get the P2P to work without the "account" login?)
If when you’re first adding the device you’re not logged into DMSS account it won’t give you the option of “local or account “ device. To keep alerts I think you want to add it as account.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I found reference that this could be done, but not the instructions. I'll keep digging. When she gets home I'll snag her phone and start trying things to see what works.

Is there a workaround for each person having multiple devices? Without creating multiple email addresses.
Not if you want both phones to have past alerts remain. You might have to delete it then add again logged in.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The ones listed as “device under the account” are the ones with persistent alerts.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That would typically mean you werent connected to the NVR at the moment

SledMack

n3wb
Reaction score
The ones listed as “device under the account” are the ones with persistent alerts.
OK. I was able to add the NVR local, then log into the account and have both. Maybe because the account was created earlier on another device?

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to have the DMSS app on both my phone and my iPad. I created an account with my email to log in. But it seems like I can't be logged in on two devices at the same time? When I log in on one, the other device gets logged out.

It's not a critical issue, just an annoyance. If there is a way around this, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks.
Try IDMSS. Not the latest but you do not need a Dahua account.