DMSS notifications still working?

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys

Are your DMSS app notifications still working? Mine stopped last week all of a sudden. I did have a power outage at approx the same time I noticed they stopped. I checked and all settings are exactly the same. I even uninstalled the app and reinstalled. Rebooted my NVR and all cameras. Have no idea what else to check. I want to rule out the push notifications servers being the issue.
All motion is still being identified and recorded properly. I just don’t get the notifications on my iphone and also do not see any alarm messages in the app nor in the console. Additionally I logged directly into the NVR to ensure settings looked ok. All seems to me. Strange.

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: I set up email alerts and those are working so at least I know that my cameras are detecting motion successfully. Push messaging not working though. hmm

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still working on my end, been getting them all week for me.

When I was setting up my NVR with a VPN and very strict firewall rules, I found that the NVR makes a call to an IP address for the push notifications (anytime there is motion/triggered event for push notifications) - It could be related to the NVR not communicating with said service or that service not sending the push/message from their end.

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the confirmation. Ya that’s what my initial thought was. I purposely disabled my firewall rules. It used to be sending to:
push.messagepush.org: 8888

I will need to monitor the traffic and see what’s going on. Thanks. Will report back.

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IP I got (only was calling via IP):
216.239.36. 55

I was extremely shocked it wasn't calling to a domain since that isn't very redundant but maybe it's different on various NVRS?

You might get lucky and see that IP pop up - I had a heck of a time on my setup with a complicated VPN setup and very strict firewall rules, couldn't get the notifications to work but then I found in the wireshark logs it was calling that address on events, so I opened it up and sure enough, fixed the problem. The snapshot and viewing the linked video didn't go through the unknown address, just the initial notification it appeared.

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Problem solved. It appears that after my power outage, somehow the default DNS server listed on my NVR was set to 1.0.0.0 (have no clue how that would have happened).

SSH'ed into my UDM Pro and ran a tcpdump against the Dahua NVR IP, I noticed that it was trying to hit push.messagepush.org but it was trying to resolve the name via 1.0.0.0 which is bogus (I actually thought it tried to hit IP directly..guess not) - updated the DNS IP to my camera VLAN default IP (192.168.30.1) which routes to my UDM Pro and then from there it knows where to query my PI Hole DNS servers (192.168.1.5/192.168.1.6 since I don't have separate DNS servers sitting in each VLAN).

Thanks for the assistance.

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to hear! I've gotta do some digging on my side and see about that messagepush.org domain, funny enough I have never seen it come across in my traffic for the notifications so now I'm curious if it varies between models/firmware.