Gros225

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine started working again as well. No changes made

Fiddelm3742

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you have to open them from the notification center to be able to see them
So the app is still severely hindered then. Dang. That's my major issue since push was working for the most part (until the other day) it is such a hassle to go back and find videos in the timeline since it had a bug where it jumps around. The clips SHOULD go into the messages by default. Not just when the app is open and an event is triggered, or the push notifications are clicked. Android app has this functionality, so why doesn't it work on iOS?

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My guess is it has to do with how iOS handles incoming notifications and apps running in the background.

I think iOS power management is preventing dmss from running in the background to receive notifications into the app at all times.

That is why it is only received into the notification center of dmss is open or if you tap on the notification itself and it opens the app.

My understanding, while not being an app developer, is this is a fundamental limitation of how iOS works that can't be overcome.

This is why in dmss it warns that you need an account to receive all notifications. At that point you aren't counting on the app on the phone to save a history of notifications, but you are counting on the cloud account to do it. The dmss iOS app simply looks at the cloud account to see what notifications have come in.

I fully expect iOS to never work the same as Android in regards to notifications just due to the way the os operates.

Fiddelm3742

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My guess is it has to do with how iOS handles incoming notifications and apps running in the background.

I think iOS power management is preventing dmss from running in the background to receive notifications into the app at all times.

That is why it is only received into the notification center of dmss is open or if you tap on the notification itself and it opens the app.

My understanding, while not being an app developer, is this is a fundamental limitation of how iOS works that can't be overcome.

This is why in dmss it warns that you need an account to receive all notifications. At that point you aren't counting on the app on the phone to save a history of notifications, but you are counting on the cloud account to do it. The dmss iOS app simply looks at the cloud account to see what notifications have come in.

I fully expect iOS to never work the same as Android in regards to notifications just due to the way the os operates.
Seems like a good explanation, but I seriously hope you're wrong,or perhaps there is a work around that can fix this. I know there are other camera apps that send push notifications and in turn update the application where the data itself isnt stored on the cloud.
I setup a few cameras for a Friend. I told him id get him some great cameras that look great, and do fantastic at night. Turns out they're pretty much worthless compared to his big box store cameras without this ability. It's incredibly disappointing that there is little to no app support for such a basic and necessary feature.
@EMPIRETECANDY have you had any luck with your engineers on this issue? You haven't replied to my messages in weeks.

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most cameras I'm familiar with require a cloud account, what cameras are you thinking of that don't require any account?

Fiddelm3742

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most cameras I'm familiar with require a cloud account, what cameras are you thinking of that don't require any account?
A cloud account yes. I just meant you didn't have to pay for monthly cloud storage. Sorry for the confusion there.

That was one of the big selling points of these Cameras (local storage and no cloud storage fees) as well as great image quality. But none of that means much if I don't have an easy/reliable way to access the videos

Last edited:

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been speaking to Dahua support in Australia and they advise the following.

"To save the msg on iPhone the app has to be awake by unlock screen or click on notifications. This limitation is caused by iOS design. We could not do much about it."

So yeah, looks like it cannot be fixed.

The account is the solution for notification on iPhone, however it seems to break two way audio on the TiOC's.

Also what I hate is needing multiple accounts because once you sign into a device with the account it signs the other out. Not convenient when users have multiple devices.

Regardless of the accounts or local adding I have reports of clients getting random notifications with no actual events associated with them, yay. (iPhone Only)

Also the latest Android app playback is broken unless you use an account. Have rolled myself back to 1.95 for the time being. Latest reviews on the app store confirm this is an issue. I have not had any reports from clients on this issue yet, that doesn't mean its not happening though.

Not great going into Christmas holidays!

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually looks like they have fixed playback on Android now thankfully.

LukeStonio

n3wb
Reaction score
Just thought I'd pop an update here. Today I managed to get my DMSS notifications working again. I told my girlfriend to delete the DMSS app and noticed that as soon as she did I got an old SMD notification through on my phone. I then asked my dad to add my NVR and remove it from the app and I got another old notification through on my phone.

Knowing something wasn't working right I found a video on how to setup the NVR from new, and took the plunge to factory reset it and my notifications are now working as they were before. Finally a result!

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently have a Dahua NVR and all the cameras connect to it directly via ethernet. I have Tripwire setup and have iPhone to receive push notifications. I have an Orbi router and by default all incoming connections are blocked. I have added a rule to block all outgoing connections from the NVR with the exception of port 8889 TCP and receive notifications to my iPhone correctly and quickly. However, as soon as a block all outgoing UDP ports for the NVR, notifications stop working.

I understood it was just port 8889 TCP that was required. Is there a UDP port that also needs to be open to get the notifications? Thanks

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok so I had a problem where iPad would get dmss push notifications but iPhone wouldn't. I tried default cam, delete reinstall dmss app etc etc nothing worked until I removed cam from account in dmss app > then delete dmss account> wait 15 min > retreat a new dmss account ( using same email address as first account btw) and bingo! now it all works as it should! obviously something on dmss app / server was glitchy

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont allow DMSS on my iPhone 13 Pro to run in the backgrpound, it used way to much battery and I have the app shut as well its not held in memory and I still get notifications. Sometimes I get instant sometimes a slight lag thats also on my iPad pro but they both happen with milliseconds on the same devices. I also dont have hard decoding on.

normalchel

n3wb
Reaction score
My sister and her husband had been searching for a split-screen for a few months by this moment. It seems like you can't find anything with good quality/reviews on the market. They were thinking of buying one degoogled phone and finding an app to use to stream their kid's room on their phones. This idea might sound strange the first time, but I think it's the only possible way at this moment with the current state of the split-screen market. Maybe in next years there will be some decent quality products for these type of problems, but for now we need to find other solutions.

Last edited: