DMSS and DMSSHD on Ipad on iphone notifications

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an ipad and iphone. Both on same IOS version....both on my home network.

Both have my NVR on it and can view live footage. Trying to add push notifications. Both have the Apple notification settings allowing notifications and I've got through and set the same notifications for Intrusion detection/Tripwire and motion detection on the relevant camera (I do note that DMSSHD onthe ipad is 1.72.000 version and Tripwire and intrusion detection are under the AI notification menu. The iphone is DMSS 1.90).

Anyway, with the same settings and notification permissions turned on, I'm getting notifications on the ipad, but not the phone. Just never seems to get a new message. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling and configuring to no benefit.

Anyone seen this?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was working on my phone this week up until Thursday and it no longer gives me notices when a tripwire or intrusion happens. I was making some adjustments on the cameras but not sure why it quit working on all of them. I did get my test camera out of the box and tested it and it works but the others don't.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me the iPad is chirping away getting events. No matter what I do on the phone I get nothing.
Surely it client related (phone/iPad) not camera as the iPad is working.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just figured it out, you have to have "Snapshot" checked in your Camera's IVS rule and you have to have the "Schedule" for "Snapshot" in "Storage" for the camera all good for it to work on the iPhone.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just figured it out, you have to have "Snapshot" checked in your Camera's IVS rule and you have to have the "Schedule" for "Snapshot" in "Storage" for the camera all good for it to work on the iPhone.
But surely I have that if One device is getting alerts and the other isn’t?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Psycik: You are correct, it must be the settings on app for the iPhone. I have mine set up for Main Steam for both playback and live view and for "Notifications" NVR is on, Period is 00:00-23-59, and check marks on Intrusion Alarm and Tripwire., hit save, and all good. Check and see if yours may have lost their settings, you probably already know this but just a reminder, you have to do the settings for each camera.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s annoying there’s no way to test a notification ie the app send one.. I did have a message in the ipad today that I had to resubscribe do not sure if that will sort out phone.

When you say check notification is on, check period is 0-23...where is that?

I found the record schedule but is there something else I might have missed?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In your DMSS app on your "Live" screen while watching your cameras live, at the top you see a home emblem, a 6-sided wheel, and an arrow with lines. Select the camera in your live view window you want to check/change and then touch the 6-sided wheel, which will take you to the setting window for that camera. That window will give you the options to edit your "Notifications", "Stream Settings", "Remote Configurations", "Alarm Output", and "Other Parameters". Remember to click save at the bottom of the screen when you complete your edits to your camera settings.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Good to see I’m seeing the name as you. So there is not other time based scheduling it need to lather other than recording schedule right? No time schedule specific to notifications?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Psycik: You need to make sure you have it scheduled on your camera as seen below:

1617626230245.png

And checked in your IVS rules as seen below:

1617626385914.png

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I played with my firewall to try and get some logging and finally managed to see I was dropping an outbound communication to 18.184.87.16 on port 8888.....that's not mentioned in any thread I'd seen and seems to be an AWS IP address. So allowed that and now I can see alerts coming through both devices.

Considering I'd never played with my firewall for ages, I'm not sure what changed to mean this port was suddenly in use...and if it's a new unknown port, what's to say that anotherony wont be chosen?

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@psycik - thanks for this information. Mine had stopped as well. I will test with that port and address.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @Holbs. No I am not using P2P. My router blocks all inbound connections to my NVR and cameras. I only allow outbound for the following ports: 2195, 2197, 5223, (first 3 for Apple), 587, 443, 8888. I also allow outbound to the Apple network 17.0.0.0/8. I have P2P disabled in NVR and all cameras.

DMSS has been working well. Except, last fortnight notifications stopped from my NVR after I updated to the latest DMSS on my iPhone, but I was able to set up notifications on each camera and they came through, which was odd, I thought. Then on Sunday afternoon (yesterday), the NVR notifications started working again and I have turned off the notifications for the cameras. I am now getting the NVR notifications once again which allows me to click on the notifications and view the clip. I have to use VPN to view the clip when I am on cellular.

Reaction score
Hi @Holbs. No I am not using P2P. My router blocks all inbound connections to my NVR and cameras. I only allow outbound for the following ports: 2195, 2197, 5223, (first 3 for Apple), 587, 443, 8888. I also allow outbound to the Apple network 17.0.0.0/8. I have P2P disabled in NVR and all cameras.

DMSS has been working well. Except, last fortnight notifications stopped from my NVR after I updated to the latest DMSS on my iPhone, but I was able to set up notifications on each camera and they came through, which was odd, I thought. Then on Sunday afternoon (yesterday), the NVR notifications started working again and I have turned off the notifications for the cameras. I am now getting the NVR notifications once again which allows me to click on the notifications and view the clip. I have to use VPN to view the clip when I am on cellular.
when I put DMSS on the same subnet/vlan as the VTO which has not internet access, the DMSS app will not even allow me to turn on General Notifications. Does this DMSS 'require' internet access to even function?

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
when I put DMSS on the same subnet/vlan as the VTO which has not internet access, the DMSS app will not even allow me to turn on General Notifications. Does this DMSS 'require' internet access to even function?
The app would require Internet access to receive the notifications from Apple servers. The notiifcations come to my phone when I am on cellular or on WiFi at home.

Reaction score
The app would require Internet access to receive the notifications from Apple servers. The notiifcations come to my phone when I am on cellular or on WiFi at home.
hmm. Maybe I misunderstood how this VTO does things. I thought I could 100% lock down the VTO subnet (which is same subnet of all my 20+ Dahua cameras) from the internet in or out and have the VTO/DMSS app still function only locally, even on different subnets or using VPN.
Kinda like saying I want my Dahua camera to notify Blue Iris on an alert. All done locally within my LAN. No internet required. But for VTO/DMSS purposes, this is not so.