Disappearing Hard Drive in Windows 11?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This isn't directly a BI issue but rather the computer set to run BI issue. As of now, my BI machine is a repurposed 6th gen Intel computer. I picked up a HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF i5-8500 running Win11 to be used as a dedicated machine. I added a 10gb purple pro drive and formatted it. It's assigned as drive E. After a while, the E drive disappears. The drive does not show up in Disk Management. It does not show up under disk drives in Device Manager. If I restart the computer, it boots with no issues and the drive shows up again. I've tried different sata ports and different sata cables. The computer has a dvd drive. It does not disappear. I've checked for any updated drivers and there were none. I've installed all main and optional updates. Has anyone experienced something like this before?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Try downloading a copy of WD hard drive tools (used to be called on-track?), and see if their utilities "see" something different.

Did you install fresh copy of Win11, or just use the machines shipped OS, as-is?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Have that machine, Did not have that issue.
How did you add the drive? was it assigned a letter? try manually selecting a letter as some PC's have SD card ports that might use E.?
try X:\

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have that machine, Did not have that issue.
How did you add the drive? was it assigned a letter? try manually selecting a letter as some PC's have SD card ports that might use E.?
try X:\
The system assigned it. There’s a DVD drive so e was the first available. I’ll assign it something at the end and see if that helps.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I had something similar and in my case it turned out to be an issue with the drive. Check the event logs to see if Windows reports issues with the drive.

As already suggested, download the WD diagnostic tools and check the drives SMART record and then perform a long test on the drive to see what happens.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had something similar and in my case it turned out to be an issue with the drive. Check the event logs to see if Windows reports issues with the drive.

As already suggested, download the WD diagnostic tools and check the drives SMART record and then perform a long test on the drive to see what happens.
From event log:
“disk 0 has been surprise removed”
I’m out and about right now and was able to remote in. I’ll get more info when I get home.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So here's where I'm at right now. I shut down the computer. I changed the sata cable for one I know works. I unplugged the dvd drive as it's not needed. I reformatted the purple drive and assigned it x during the format. I reformatted it because I had originally formatted it and it was given drive e. I later changed it to x in disk management but the wd dashboard still saw it as e drive. I ran the short test and it returned no issues. I have not completed the long test yet. Next to the short test start button, the western digital app has a clock with a 5. I think it meant the short test should take about 5 minutes. The icon next to the long test says 10+. The seems to suggest the long test should take a little lower. I started it and it took a while and was still on 10%. I've read where it has taken days. That must be a pretty thorough test.

Here is the complete system log. I need to search some results buy searching for the binary at the bottom yields some good results.

Log Name: System
Source: disk
Date: 8/15/2023 6:49:47 PM
Event ID: 157
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: New-Blue
Description:
Disk 0 has been surprise removed.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="">
<System>
<Provider Name="disk" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32772">157</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-08-16T01:49:47.9001017Z" />
<EventRecordID>4462</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="1344" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>New-Blue</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\Harddisk0\DR0</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Binary>0000000002003000000000009D000480000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Your could well be a dodgy cable judging by the event log entry.

The cable in mine was pretty loose so I did end up changing it but I had loads of event log entries related to accessing the disk and when I ran the long test it reallocated sectors.

I must have run the long test 5 or more times and the disk now reports as healthy but I’ve never bothered to reinstall it back and it’s since sat on my desk, not too sure it’s worth the bother although it is an 8Tb drive.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quick update. I switched to a cable known to be good. I could not change out the power cable as I didn’t have one that plugs in the motherboard. I started to run the long test but stopped it and ran chkdsk. After 14 hours, it returned an all good. I started the long test and after about 15 hours it’s still at 10%. I’ve read a number of posts out on the internet where people have stopped the long test after days of sitting at 10%. But the drive has not disappeared.
At this point, I think I’m going to stop the test and see if it disappears after some inactivity.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If it’s not moving beyond 10% then that could be an indication that it has encountered bad sectors and is testing them before deciding to reallocate.

Just leave the test running, it will either complete or crash out but at least you will know.

For my 8Tb hard drive I left the drive running tests for over a week, would just check periodically during the day, record the results including SMART results after each and the kick the test off again.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it’s not moving beyond 10% then that could be an indication that it has encountered bad sectors and is testing them before deciding to reallocate.

Just leave the test running, it will either complete or crash out but at least you will know.

For my 8Tb hard drive I left the drive running tests for over a week, would just check periodically during the day, record the results including SMART results after each and the kick the test off again.
I have another new in the box drive that’s not a purple drive. I’m going to switch the purple drive for the other one. And I’ll move the purple to a new sata cable. If the purple keeps disappearing and the other drive does not, I’ll assume the issue is the drive and exchange it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It might be worth copying data to the drive at regular intervals just in case the problem only exhibits itself when the drive is being used?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just to update this issue, I did not put both drives in as the construction of the pc requires right angle sata cables to be used. I only have one. So I plugged the new drive (a red drive) in and did a short test. No errors returned. It's been sitting for almost 24hours without disappearing. The only 2 constants in this situation with the purple drive was the drive itself and any controller software. I believe the red drive's ability to stay visible suggests the issue is with the drive itself. I initiated an exchange with Amazon and should have the replacement drive tomorrow.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last update. Hopefully. Replacement drive came in. Installed it and ran short check and chkdsk. No errors. I was going to run the longer chkdsk that took 13 hours on the previous drive but I didn't think it was needed. The previous drive never disappeared when the drive was active. It only disappeared after a short period of time where the drive was idle. Even while idle, the new drive still shows as mounted.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
what size was the Red drive? 4TB? might just be an anomally with that drive......

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what size was the Red drive? 4TB? might just be an anomally with that drive......
the red drive is 3tb. but it hasn't given me any problems.