Disable audio on 5231R-Z?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the legalities of capturing speech outside my house and would rather simply disable it to be safe. Is there a simple checkbox or other way to disable the mic? Failing that, I'd need to at least disable recording. I'm leaning toward the NVR5216.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the legalities of capturing speech outside my house and would rather simply disable it to be safe. Is there a simple checkbox or other way to disable the mic? Failing that, I'd need to at least disable recording. I'm leaning toward the NVR5216.
yes, you can disable it. There is a checkbox in the audio settings.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey what state are you in? Some places its ok.
California. I've been Googling and it's an all-party state. The houses are close together so a decent mic could probably pick up someone in their yard or even through an open window easily. It's good to know that it can be disabled easily.

I also came across something called privacy masking where I could electronically black out a portion of the frame. Does this camera support this? It could be an alternative to aiming the camera too close to my own house and getting IR reflections.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
California. I've been Googling and it's an all-party state. The houses are close together so a decent mic could probably pick up someone in their yard or even through an open window easily. It's good to know that it can be disabled easily.

I also came across something called privacy masking where I could electronically black out a portion of the frame. Does this camera support this? It could be an alternative to aiming the camera too close to my own house and getting IR reflections.
as stated, it doesnt matter what state you are in...blocking the video will not resolve your audio issue...the video recording is not an issue.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
as stated, it doesnt matter what state you are in...blocking the video will not resolve your audio issue...the video recording is not an issue.
I know they're not related but its a feature on some cameras I read about when researching the audio issue. Even though it may be legally OK to view and record a neighbor's house, if the camera lets me block out their property, so much the better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know they're not related but its a feature on some cameras I read about when researching the audio issue. Even though it may be legally OK to view and record a neighbor's house, if the camera lets me block out their property, so much the better.
that footage may be very relevant to something that happens at your house...its silly to block it out.

rtc1036

n3wb
Reaction score
It’s perfectly legal to record audio and video from a place you can legally be in public, which includes on your property. If you could stand there with a recorder and accomplish the same thing, it’s all good. There is zero expectation of privacy in public. That even extends to a person being in a private area but open to the public such as in front of an open window with the curtains not drawn, or yelling in a house with a window open, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s perfectly legal to record audio and video from a place you can legally be in public, which includes on your property. If you could stand there with a recorder and accomplish the same thing, it’s all good. There is zero expectation of privacy in public. That even extends to a person being in a private area but open to the public such as in front of an open window with the curtains not drawn, or yelling in a house with a window open, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is not correct..that is true for video but NOT for audio...It is important not to post misinformation like this.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just carefuly read the small print on what part of the world and state you live in as this subject is totally different around the world
Except one thing you have to be party to the conversation or have consent.
And what constitutes consent.
(24hr video and audio recording on these premises) in certain parts of the world
Where I live and the state, that sign once I’ve read it and walk into that place I have given my consent to record my movements and what I say
But some other parts of the world that sign wouldn’t allow for you to record audio
Be careful you could end up in hot water with illegal audio recording