Direct to disk questions

B0Z

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm curious about the real world experience of those using this configuration since I've seen more than a few recommendations of using this to bring down CPU usage.

What kind of I/O throughput didn't work for you and what did you do to fix it? Increase spindle count? Change raid type?

Assuming you're running a RAID volume, what configuration have you found works best? R5? R6? R10?

I find that my primary workstation has moderate CPU usage even when BI is in the "inactive" profile and restricting live view to 1 FPS (7x4MP, 1x2MP). Did D2D help your live view performance?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the real world experience of those using this configuration since I've seen more than a few recommendations of using this to bring down CPU usage.

What kind of I/O throughput didn't work for you and what did you do to fix it? Increase spindle count? Change raid type?

Assuming you're running a RAID volume, what configuration have you found works best? R5? R6? R10?

I find that my primary workstation has moderate CPU usage even when BI is in the "inactive" profile and restricting live view to 1 FPS (7x4MP, 1x2MP). Did D2D help your live view performance?
direct to disk has nothing to do with raid...its will significantly reduce cpu consumption...why are you afraid to test it for yourself?

B0Z

n3wb
Reaction score
Uhhh. I was just asking for others' experience. my apologies if this isn't an appropriate post.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Uhhh. I was just asking for others' experience. my apologies if this isn't an appropriate post.
it is, but it seems like you are afraid to test it. Why? you wont break anything..everyone experiences significant reduction in cpu consumption, way more than 50%...this is established fact..

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score

Short answer, yes, direct to disk helps cut down CPU usage. The RAID level of the drives won't matter at all whether you're re-encoding or doing direct-to-disk (it's probably writing about the same amount of data either way, you're just not doing a bunch of CPU work in the middle).

I saw my CPU usage drop from about 40-50% to about 20% (the specs of my system or how many cameras doesn't really matter... direct to disc works is the main point).

The only time I ever set anything to re-encode is when doing time-lapse because direct-to-disc has to record on a key frame and I just kept having trouble... when doing a single frame every 5-10 seconds I kept getting recordings with very few actual frames of video showing up. Re-encoding is fine though, and when just saving a frame every few seconds it's not a big deal anyway, in that case.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Storing Video Surveillance on a raid is entirely unnecessary and wasteful.. Disk performance is of no concern, you'll run out of space long before you come close to getting enough cameras to have concerns over write speeds.

If you want some form of redundancy, slap a smaller disk in or NAS or SD card and record/save to both at same time.. JBOD the rest for best power consumption and quicker recovery from disk failure.. keeping all the disks active all the time just burns up energy, wears out drives faster, and gives you nothing but extended downtimes trying to rebuild a massive multi-terrabyte array..

If redundancy is desired usually a couple days is more than adequate; but long term retention of several weeks may be desired.. so have your cake and eat it too without going broke on disks.. But if money is no thing you really want to spend 2x on disks for redundancy, then just run 2 NVR's and get high availability while your at it.

If your recording continuously, and you should.. >99.99% of data written is basically garbage that gets overwritten w/out ever being looked at.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Newb question but is the direct to disc recording done from the camera settings or in the BI settings?