Difference between HikVision NVRs DS-7608NI-SE/P and DS-7604NI-E1/4P?

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An installer has quoted me for a job which includes a DS-7608NI-SE/P. This is a unit with 4 PoE connectors. I couldn't find it on the HikVision site but I can on an Internet search and I have a HikVision PDF for it.

The HikVision site shows it's 4 PoE connector unit as DS-7604NI-E1/4P.

I am wondering what the SE/P designation means and why that unit has an '8' in the model wheras usually the '8' means 8 channels.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That model has 8 PoE ports on it. I've installed a couple of them, so I know what I've hooked up. Or at least the ones I purchased had 8. Perhaps there isn't a model number denotation between 4 and 8 port. New models denote the difference, that is an old recorder so it could have been different.

What you are finding is pictures of an 8 channel with 4 PoE. This means you can put 4 IPCs on the PoE switch, their others must be powered by other means and must reside on your main LAN segment. Hikvision limits the number of devices allowed on built in switches to the number of ports physically in existence. I installed a 32CH recorder last year that has 16 PoE, the other 16 cams could not be on that switch even with another switch daisy chained to it. They refused to connect. Networking rules tell you that's permitted, Hikvision rules said no.

Avoid the SE model. That's old and is starting to fade in firmware support. Get an E model or I model. I is most current, supports 4K but is a bit pricey.

7600 is the series on both of these. The last 2 digits are the channel count. E1 and E2, to my knowledge, the E is the hardware revision (like SE), and the number indicates the number of drives it can hold (1 SATA or 2 SATA), but an 8P suffix means it has 8 PoE ports. E1/4P has 1 hard drive and 4 PoEs as you indicated. The only major difference I noticed was the E series on up have USB3, whereas the SE model is older and only has USB2. I've installed several of both and many 7700 series units as well.

To simplify everything, get a DS-7608NI-E2/8P. 8 cameras, 8 ports. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered one tonight and a 4TB WD purple drive for it. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for the explanation!

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
See the thread I just started under the NVR category, note the size difference. When you get yours, if you could post there that would be wonderful. I'm curious what people run into with new orders of this model.

Also +1 on the purple! Excellent drives.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, sure.

I just ordered what I'm pretty sure will be a Chinese grey market import due to price, so we'll see how that works out. Firstly if it even arrives, then the firmware upgrades, the whole Chinese to English firmware language switcharoo. Also, a DS-2CD2732F-I 3MP 2.8-12mm dome.

A lot of it is experimentation for me. I dipped my toes in two weeks ago with a Swann 3MP system but that went back after long nights (and days) of frustration with the motion detection software. I'm hoping to have more like with HikVision and learn a lot along the way. If it works out, I'll be buying more then heading overseas to install it at a property I need to monitor remotely.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just checked the rear photo of the item on eBay and when compared to your photos on the thread you started, it looks like the larger size. You can tell because there's a screw between the power plug and the LAN adapter in the bigger version whereas in the smaller version, the screw is under the LAN adapter. So the one I ordered must be one of the older ones. Dimensions of the official one on the HikVision site say 445mm wide. Compare that to your small one.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ordered mine from XinRay which is a pretty good seller, they responded to my email questions very quickly even during the Chinese holiday when the whole country is virtually shut down, so I was happy. They also have 2 separate listings, one that says "multilanguage" (Chinese patched to English) and one that says "original English, support upgrade" (genuine US device) so it's clear when ordering. I'll willing to purchase Chinese pre-patched cameras but NVRs I never deviate the US region devices because that is what I directly interface with, so I always want that firmware to be most current and up to date.

Sometimes the photo is there for representation only. If Hikvision makes a model change its not often that the sellers will reflect something like a size change, since every other feature about it is identical.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BTW, I did end up getting the official answer from HikVision: "Please note that the first model provided (DS-7608NI-SE/P) is actually a discontinued 8-channel model. The second model provided (DS-7604NI-E1/4P) is the replacement model for the discontinued 4 channel model. I have provided the discontinuation bulletins for both the 4 and 8 channel models ending with NI-SE which have been replaced with the NI-E(X) models."

They sent me the model discontinuation notice, which was dated December 31, 2014. So an installer quoted me on a system that included an NVR that was discontinued over a year ago...

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's exactly it. The last SE model I ordered was Summer 2014, so it was within the cut. However the notice applies to all SE models of the 7600 series, not specific channel numbers. Even so, that's what I was trying to describe to you when I said it was very old. E or I model is the way to go.